Deacon's Bike

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
here at least is the picture of the clown bike. It at least turned out as gawdy as I planned lol

It's supposed to be a junkyard build... how much more junky than this can one get... Too bad I couldn't get the motor to work on it. Actually I had the motor working till I screwed it up all by myself.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
One of the members here (big joe) sent me an engine just like the one I ruined this morning. As luck would have it, it arrived just as I finished tearing down the ruined engine. Someone had worked on is engine and told him it had low compression. I started it in two minutes but it would not keep running, so I switched out the carb for one I knew worked. Took a little more work to seal off the gasket ect but it runs like a dream. Better than the original engine I ruined (of course I would say that)

Tomorrow I need to do a few things to it and then its ready to mount. I am still having second thoughts about this build but we shall see. At least the drive wheels are ready and don't need any adjusting on the engine. Not that I would ever tap a drive shaft again regardless of the need.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I was trying to add some size to the foot peg drive wheel. I "persuaded" a cover to go onto the peg. In doing so I managed to drive the drive shaft back and lock it up.. I got a lot of good parts off it though. If I do go forward with the friction drive conversions I can alwys use the parts. The whole top end it good, the carb is already on big joe's engine. The jug is here and the magneto ect. There really isnt much to these little engines.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I got the new old engine mounted, the drive wheel. I am not working on the throttle. It looks as though the simplest thing well be to go back to the hardwire lawn mower cable. the bike cable won't return the carb control and a spring just isnt dependable. It going ot be cold the next couple of days anyway. So I have excuse to work on the bike. I'm going to do my basic research on the lawn mower cable now.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
For not this project is a bust. I can't get the drive wheel tight enough to drag start or to push the rear tire. It has to do with supporting the free side of the friction drive. I have everything else ready, just have to figure out a drive assembly that works. With a wheel supported on just one side the motor just moves down at a screwy angle it doesn't get tight on the wheel..

Ive got an idea all of a sudden. Since that peg has a mountain bike axle thread on the side away from the engine I guess I need to get a mtb wheel assemby. screw the axle into the peg, then use the bearings and assembly to anchor the off motor side of the drive. Sounds complicated I might just keep thinking on this. I have the bike and a working motor it's just a matter of time before I figure it out. Too bad norman or joe isnt around to figure it out for me.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
how do you make a brass bushing. that in a flat bar would do to hold the off motor side of the drive wheel in place.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I found that out after I wrote it. I think im going to try it without a bushing to see how long it last. The wheel probably won't last all that long anyway.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Does anyone know a reason that an engine would start with no load then refuse to start with a load even though it is spinning. New plug gas on the plug room stinks of gas by the way. From not starting.

I guess my next move is to take it loose from the wheel and see if it will start that way.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Throttle was stuck open. Gonna have to dump the lawn mower throttle and go back to bike cable.I might try to salvage the trigger assembly from the weedeater but I doubt it most likely will go with a brake lever cut down to a trigger

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
just like my china bike this is a nightmare lol... The directions for building this bike are about the same as the china bike when I built it NONE... Still I am having fun. When I get through I'm going to have boat load of bucks for what I have in the end but it will have been an experience.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
sure you can lol...... just by the time you do its too late you have already spent the money. The prototype is going to cost a fortune well more than a china kit would have.

I have no idea what a build would cost but it wont be near as much.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Deacon here is some pictures of the weed eater engine mount and outter bearing I have the engine apart in these photos so you can see it better.
I accidently on porpose started to breake off the cooling fins as there is no shroud so there is no need for finger eating fins spinning. The roller is too small and I need to make a bigger one.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Deacon I screwed up the first time so I deleated it here is 1 more picture its out of focus but this shows the inside of the roybi cylinder which is 31cc there is a slot on both intakes that make the engine easier to pull start what this does is lower the compression and takes away power so these engines are not very powerfull.

[/IMG]