Actual Working Tail Light

GoldenMotor.com

MotorNut123

Aug 31, 2010
New York
Im gonna be gettting a back light/blinker kit for my beach cruiser project this winter, but i dont just want the tail light to be on all the time. i want to have it actually work like a brake light should. when i press the brake down (coaster brake) the light will come on. i know im gonna need some kind of button/switch somewhere so when i press the brake down, it will hit the button/switch and the light will pop on. it will be awesome if i could get this to work somehow. does anyone have any ideas how i can get this to work? thanks just remember im working with a coaster brake...

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008
i presently have a working tail light from nashbar...its fine...but check this out...for around 6.00 dollars and thats with shipping you can get the brake light....turn signals...horn...all in one...i got three of them...and they are great...just takes about 2 weeks to get them from china...here is a pick...hope this helps...Dennis here is the site on ebay...wangdecheng9898

Attachments

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2010
Michigan
well started think all crafty like one way switches activated when sprocket was reversed and all but to keep it simple just a extra button on your twist grip assembly??

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
i presently have a working tail light from nashbar...its fine...but check this out...for around 6.00 dollars and thats with shipping you can get the brake light....turn signals...horn...all in one...i got three of them...and they are great...just takes about 2 weeks to get them from china...here is a pick...hope this helps...Dennis here is the site on ebay...wangdecheng9898
Gonna have to check those out...thanks.

Cheers

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
If all you have is a coaster brake, I would suggest getting a front brake of some kind along with the brake light switch. A brake lever for an electric scooter is simple and not too expensive, so that when you activate the front brake the circuit to the tail light (brake light) is completed. Use any kind of light you want. I like having both a tail light which is on all the time and runs off the engine, and a brake light which is brighter or larger and runs off of battery power... doesn't stay on for long at any one time. If the bulbs are LED the battery will last a long time. If safety is a concern, the front brake is a must even if it is just a caliper brake. What happens if the pedal chain jumps or breaks? It can happen.
SB

MotorNut123

Aug 31, 2010
New York
thanks guys. these are some great ideas. i didnt even know about those brake levers but i knew they had to be out there. i think ill go with a front brake along with the lever. thanks

Sep 1, 2010
Cincinnati,Ohio
]Hello agian fellow cruisers, I have a few thoughts also, I wonder if someone can convert one of those brake levers to one of those dual front levers,, I seen the brake lever with the 2 wires, but not in chrome, Well I ordered a 3-1 light kit like it from KingsBikes for $10.99, guess i should of searched a little more. I have been aslo hearing about reinforcing the stock fenders on my cruiser, seems, the rivets will eventually break after a while from vibration. Over & out,,, dirtyoldcrusier xct2