Eeek! Help!

GoldenMotor.com

boats

Apr 7, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
Hi folks,

I just put my first bike together and took it out for a run yesterday. It ran fine then, except that the chain was popping off when the rear tire was being pulled forward because it wasn't tightened enough to the hub.... I fixed all that last night.

Today, after work I decided to take it out for its second spin, and it ran for about 200 yards, started lurching forward a few times, and then the motor just died and would not restart. Yes, the gas is on.... yes the choke is off...yes I put oil in it....not sure what happened, but pulled the starter for it about 50 times. It turns freely, but no start.

I didn't run it fast, like Terry Blow did in his video. I was doing maybe 10 mph max since its still in its break in period.

It is a Huasheng 4G 4 stroke with a centrifugal clutch on 29 inch beach cruiser.

Any suggestions? (Is it blown already?)zpt

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Don't panic, boats!
It's probably not 'blown'.
Those motors enjoy a good reputation.
Most likely just a glitch in the matrix.
Start diagnosis by beginning your way through the three systems and expand each one out from the initial tests.
The fellows with that engine setup will help you sort it out, I'm sure.
Best
rc

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Boats- Welcome to this place, it's awesome.

With the info given-

It's unlikely that there is anything major wrong with that 4-banger... probably a fuel problem.
I'm assuming that your engines head is bolted down tightly, and otherwise assembled correctly and in good working order.

A few things...

+When you pull the starter rope, can you feel that the engine has compression? I'm gonna guess yes, and that's good.

+Is your carb bolted tightly to your engine? Is it adjusted properly?

+When you loosen the drain screw on your carb bowl, does fuel flow freely?
If no, it would appear that you are not getting fuel from the tank to the carb. If yes, it would appear that you are not getting fuel from the carb to the engine.
Either way, drain all fuel from the bike. Remove the drain-cock and throw away the kit supplied in-line fuel filter. Flush your tank. Remove and thoroughly clean your carb. If you've got the money, replace the drain-cock with a good one (Briggs & Stratton or whatever). Replace the kit fuel line with automotive fuel line. Replace the kit fuel filter that should be in your trash can, with an automotive in-line filter (clear, about 4 bucks).

+To be safe, check your engine oil for fuel. If you notice gas in the crankcase, drain and refill.

+It is highly recommended that you replace the kit spark plug with this iridium plug; NGK CR7 HIX

For somewhere around fifteen bucks and less than an hour, you should be back up and running.

I hope this is helpful, let me know if you need something else. If I don't know, one of us will.

Trey

Last edited:

boats

Apr 7, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
Trey, you hit it on the head. I'm used to riding a Vmax with a 1200cc 4 banger, and when it runs out of gas, it coasts to a stop rather than lurch the way this one banger, so that was throwing me off.

I took the fuel line off and realized there was no fuel going into the carb. Seems that the kit supplied petcock was blocked up already. Replaced the petcock with another I had lying around and she fired right up.

I see you have a Navy shirt on. I was a boatswain's mate way back in the Gulf war in 92, so nice to see a fellow squid out there :) Thanks for the help :)

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I took the fuel line off and realized there was no fuel going into the carb. Seems that the kit supplied petcock was blocked up already. Replaced the petcock with another I had lying around and she fired right up.
Depends on the kit but if your petcock threads on from the outside of the tank and has a double long petcock screen it also has a reserve setting.

Down is regular.
Crossing is off.
Up is reserve ;-}

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Trey, you hit it on the head. I'm used to riding a Vmax with a 1200cc 4 banger, and when it runs out of gas, it coasts to a stop rather than lurch the way this one banger, so that was throwing me off.

I see you have a Navy shirt on. I was a boatswain's mate way back in the Gulf war in 92, so nice to see a fellow squid out there :) Thanks for the help :)
Glad that worked out.
I prefer four strokes, and the few problems I've had with new kits were often fuel related. They're actually really dependable if you mount em right, do a few small upgrades and do your maintenance.

KCvale made a good point that I missed. Thanks KC!

As for the shirt, that's a nod to my dad.

Welcome to the place to be brother.

Last edited: