Is this motor legal in Louisiana (i have laws listed)

GoldenMotor.com

grandpa2390

Jul 13, 2008
DEFINITION OF MOPEDS AND MOTORIZED BICYCLES
MOTOR DRIVEN CYCLE - R.S. 32:1(39) defines as every motorcycle, including every motor scooter, with a motor not to exceed five horsepower.

MOTORIZED BICYCLE - R.S. 32:1(41) defines as a pedal bicycle which may be propelled by human power or helper motor, or by both, with a motor rated no more than one and one-half brake horsepower, a cylinder capacity not exceeding fifty cubic centimeters, an automatic transmission, and which produces a maximum design speed of no more than twenty-five miles per hour on a flat surface."

REGISTRATION OF VEHICLE - R.S. 47:501 requires every owner of a motor vehicle, trailer, or semi-trailer, or other vehicle intended to be operated upon the public highways in this state to register the vehicle before driving.

the motor I am looking at is this one:
Bicycle Engine Kit: This 80cc bicycle motors are 2 cycle 3.5 h.p.The best of the best of all these bicycle motors.This bicycle engine kit comes with every thing you need to convert your regular 26" single speed cruiser or a multi speed mountain bike into a motorized bike.

Operates like a moped. You can pedal the bike or start the engine by releasing the clutch lever on the bicycle motor . No rope pulling needed for this motorized bicycle. This bicycle motor gets around 150 miles on a gallon of gas. You can stop or start the engine as you ride. These bicycle motors have a twist grip hand throttle controls speeds to 35 mph. Depending on the gear ratio.

Comes with a 44 tooth Chrome racing Sprocket, with 9 hole mounting to rear wheel & Installation hardware. Requires basic mechanics and simple tools. The 26" cruiser coaster brake type bikes as sold in stores all over USA can be used to make a motorized bicycle. It takes about a few hours to install.

Top three reasons to buy from Kingsmotorbikes.com

* Peace of mind and protection for your product.
* Easy purchase process.
* Best customer service

Bicycle Engine Kit includes: bicycle motor 80cc engine, extra quiet muffler, black Tear Drop Fuel Tank with cap and mounting brackets, chain, 44 tooth Chrome racing Sprocket, with 9 hole mounting to rear wheel & Installation hardware, chain guard, kill switch, clutch lever throttle, instruction manual, every thing you need to put on the bike to make it a motorized bicycle.

NOTE: DUE TO THE HIGH VOLUME OF ORDERS THE 80cc MOTOR KITS ARE CURRENTLY OUT OF STOCK, WE WILL HAVE THE ENGINE KITS READY FOR SHIPPING AGAIN BY JULY 22. YOU CAN STILL PLACE YOUR ORDER AND WE WILL SEND AN EMAIL WITH THE TRACKING NUMBER WHEN THE ENGINE KIT IS SHIPPED OUT!

* 80 cc 2 cycle 3.5 h.p.Gas bicycle engine kit with mounting clamps.
* Black exhaust muffler with gasket.
* Black Tear Drop Fuel Tank with cap and mounting brackets.
* Lever Clutch handle Twist Throttle Control... Includes cables.
* Heavy duty chain.
* 44 tooth Chrome racing Sprocket, with 9 hole mounting to rear wheel & Installation hardware.
* Drive Chain idler, Carburetor assembly, CDI ignition assembly.
* Spark plug and engine tools.
* Bicycle frame adaptor.
* Instruction and maintenance manual

It is legal to ride a bicycle on the highway without license, if this motor is illegal, is there any motor kits that you could suggest that would be legal. I was also thinking that I could just ride it like a bike when i have to take the highway and use the motor on the backstreets.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
You would not be legal as a MOTORIZED BICYCLE but you would be legal as a MOTOR DRIVEN CYCLE which would most likely require an M class license, registration w/ license plate, and insurance.

I am willing to bet if you get a 50cc motor and are defined as a motorized bicycle you would be ok without registration on the highways.

'round here you still need to register you motorized bicycle, but it's just a sticker that costs $5 for 3 years.

I would talk to someone at the DMV.

grandpa2390

Jul 13, 2008
What would i say (i'm 17 and have no experience with these matters) I don't even have a driver's license yet.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
well for starters I am willing to bet you'll need a drivers license. I don't know about LA, but here in CO you have to have a license to ride a motor-assisted-bike.

I would just start out by telling them that you're 17 and looking into custom-built mopeds. I wouldn't recommend telling them you are wanting an 80cc motor, I would call it a 50cc - the china motors are unmarked and almost identical anyway.

Also just start googling the heck out of louisiana + < motorwhatever your search terms >

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I haven't registered it yet because I just got it. it will be though, whenever I get around to it. I have a 70cc motor.

grandpa2390

Jul 13, 2008
what do you make of this?

LA code makes no provision for a manufacturers certificate of origin for a motor vehicle by a one-off maker. For custom vehicles such as I've described, you must provide documentation of purchase of all components and materials used in the construction (receipts, salvage certificates, bills of sale for donor vehicles, etc.), provide a makers affidavit, assign a vehicle identification number (which must be permanently affixed to the vehicle), and comply with all applicable vehicular standards. It is truly a monumental pain - like the old Johnny Cash song - "When they got done, the title weighed 60 pounds!"

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Heads up

I went thru this earlier this morning with the Ohio BMV (bureau of motor vehicles) when I called my local office and talked to some of the little old ladies.

What we are doing here is putting motors on our bicycles. It's "installing a helper motor on a bicycle". It may be purchased as a KIT, or a homespun adaption "RAQUIMBILI" style. My state requires pedals so it so it can be peddaled under human power. Some states may not. WHEN YOU SAY....MOPED..... to those who don't know what we know.......yur opening a can of worms....that will eat your sanity.

Don't go there with Government bureaucrats. They will see/hear "Moped" and assume it to be what we here would know as a factory built moped like a Solex, Puch, Peugeot, or whatever. Then they will look for what you have on the state approved list. If you say it's a Schwinn bicycle with a Tas motor....it won't be on the list and they will tell you to take a hike.

Here is a brief list of laws, rules, and requirements State by State.

Moped Laws by state

When I talked to them this morning after 1/2 hour I convinced them that this was a bicycle with a helper motor. It had pedals and I could ride it with the power off or out of gas just like a bicycle.(cause it was a bicycle) They kept wanting to go to "The LIST". I kept explaining I was in their web site...in the section for powered bicycles and explaining that if this was a real factory built "MOPED" I'd agree
to do so. So they kept saying that they would have to call in on the 1-800 number to which I told them that would be great as there would be people who understand this stuff there. Well, they didn't like the sound of my voice and wanted to know why a grown man wanted to do something like this anyways.
When I explained to Aunt Do-Do....that they get 200 miles per gallon.....I made a convert and she was wanting me to bring the thing by cause SHE had to see THIS ! :confused: I explained to her to imagine a weed whacker motor bolted up to a bicycle so it could run along at about 20 miles an hour and you could do your local errands on it and put stuff in the basket to carry home AND NOT BURN $20 DOLLARS WORTH OF GAS !!!!

So her last remark was......young man......when you come here just remember to bring your receipts/proof of purchase. :rolleyes: Oh..........gag and puke........I bought the bike in a flea market, and the "used motor only" (not all parts included) the same way.

I hope there's a full moon out tonight so I can go out and howl at it. And keep Aunt Do Do from sleeping.

GGGGRRRRRRR Bureaucrats !

Last edited:

Freedomfalcon

Feb 25, 2009
Louisiana
Okay guys, I have a good chance to change Louisiana legislation regarding two wheeled vehicles. In favor of adding any engine to any two wheeled vehicle for fuel mileage research development. I am trying to scrap all legislation regarding motorcycles. Registration, license, brake tag, the whole lot in one fell swoop. I know a state senator who is into liberty. It is likely to work if I can get hold of the right type of language to submit.

Can I get you guys to help discuss this with me? We have a real shot at this in Louisiana.

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind
A precedent set to some decent guidelines like you describe under the auspices of fuel mileage research and development of Low Speed Vehicles would be a really good thing. What can we do to help?

Freedomfalcon

Feb 25, 2009
Louisiana
Well, I need to get a copy of a state Bill that has the type of legislation in it we are looking for.This is so I could use it as an example. Then we could tweak it. At that point I can get it to a very friendly State senator friend of mine.
I know others have had laws changed to favor motorbikes. Now, I don't know why "Motorbikes" have to be low speed. Who ever came up with that idea? I have an opportunity to make way for them in the state of Louisiana. We could duplicate the effort in other states one by one. I'd like to get as much restriction lifted as I can. Thanks a lot.

Freedomfalcon

Feb 25, 2009
Louisiana
Just tell me what you would like to see permissible. If a stste has particularly good rules that you know of. Let me know that also. I'll pin something together. I'll show you guys what I have done. We can discuss it. I'll make the changes. Then I'll submit it.

mechanickid

Aug 7, 2008
nh
What would i say (i'm 17 and have no experience with these matters) I don't even have a driver's license yet.
and your a grandpa?! rofl.
im 16 and dont have one either, live in newhampshire and pretty much ride illegally. passed three cops the other day and they didn't give a crap, but thats because the crime rate in new hampshire is low, a baseball through a window is the most these cops need to investigate. i just act normal, and they're like "he's acting normal, he must be legal!" .xx.

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind
The LSV class allows for speeds up to 35mph. Contrary to popular opinion on here that is plenty fast on a motorized bike for most of the population that will benefit from the laws and meshes well with the fabric of 35 mph zones in cities and urban areas. It also includes 3 and 4 wheel vehicles. But do as you will.

Not sure how the electric bike laws read there but their 20 mph top speed is unrealistic and should be brought in line with motorized bikes IMO. I think it follows European and Asian guidelines if one state does it then others might follow.

Cookie

Jul 3, 2008
OK Falcon I have been riding in LA sence before Katrina **** I even road in katrina during the feeder showers. The laws where first put on the books here in LA in 1903 these bikes are classified as MOTOR ASSISTED BIKES NOT MOPEDS!! You have to follow all the bicycle laws you have to be elagable for a drivers licence, depending on the parish you live in the bike may have to be regesterd to you, you do not need insurance, you do not need inspection stickers.
Put you pen away and do not rock the boat we have a good thing here. Learn to do the research or just as an old cop (not a young one) and he will bring out his old flip book and let you copy the RS # I lost my copy of it yrs. ago but I have been hit twice now and they had to call an old sgt. every time to find out how to write up the accadent and now all the cops in my town know the laws about my bike :).

PS I live just outside Baton Rouge and the BR cops know me and my bike now.

Cookie

mechanickid

Aug 7, 2008
nh
contrary to my previous post, mbs are legal in nh and classify as a bike, and nothing more. it took a few calls to different parts of the dmv, but "registration" told me im fine :]

Jobarwo

Mar 30, 2009
Idaho
DEFINITION OF MOPEDS AND MOTORIZED BICYCLES

NOTE: DUE TO THE HIGH VOLUME OF ORDERS THE 80cc MOTOR KITS ARE CURRENTLY OUT OF STOCK, WE WILL HAVE THE ENGINE KITS READY FOR SHIPPING AGAIN BY JULY 22. YOU CAN STILL PLACE YOUR ORDER AND WE WILL SEND AN EMAIL WITH THE TRACKING NUMBER WHEN THE ENGINE KIT IS SHIPPED OUT!

* 80 cc 2 cycle 3.5 h.p.Gas bicycle engine kit with mounting clamps.
* Black exhaust muffler with gasket.
* Black Tear Drop Fuel Tank with cap and mounting brackets.
* Lever Clutch handle Twist Throttle Control... Includes cables.
* Heavy duty chain.
* 44 tooth Chrome racing Sprocket, with 9 hole mounting to rear wheel & Installation hardware.
* Drive Chain idler, Carburetor assembly, CDI ignition assembly.
* Spark plug and engine tools.
* Bicycle frame adaptor.
* Instruction and maintenance manual

It is legal to ride a bicycle on the highway without license, if this motor is illegal, is there any motor kits that you could suggest that would be legal. I was also thinking that I could just ride it like a bike when i have to take the highway and use the motor on the backstreets.

It is my understanding that motors rated overseas as "80cc" are not really that size under the U.S. measuring system, which is strict displacement and might call that same motor a "66cc". This info came from Spookytoothcycles, FWIW.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
im in ny and the laws say that i cant even have a motor on a bike.
but i do.i had no problems riding my electric bike around town till the batteries were going dead all the time.so i got a gas engine kit and put it on my bike and now i can do around 20mph or so for 150miles.i watch out for cops but have had no problems yet.the engine is pretty quiet compared to the road noise of other cars.since almost nobody has one like me or even seen anything like it,they think im on a regular bike.and it dont matter what size engine you get,they all look the same size,as long as you dont have a sticker on your engine saying what size it is,heres a hint put your own sticker on it that says 48cc and max speed 20mph or something like that.