Cell Phone ... da?

GoldenMotor.com

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
Well, I guess there's only me and one or two other guys left in the country without cell phones ... and I'm cavin' in. I don't know for sure if it's out of neccessity or common sense but I have to admit I see the need for a cell phone in my life now. (Maybe it has something to do with my recent experience of standing beside the road staring at my broke down pick up truck?)

Anyway, in the next day or two I'm gonna take the plunge ... but I don't have even a small clue as to what to buy ... wouldn't even know how to answer one if it was ringing. So, once again I need rescueing. All help and advice appreciated.

Clueless in Michigan ... :confused:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
As unhelpful as it may be - I jus' wanted to chime in as one of the few "others" that not only doesn't have a cell, but flat-out refuses to even have a land-line. :D

I despise phones... well, more accurately - the effect cell phones have had on culture in general ;) I have been known to use skype from time to time however... don't tell anyone tho heh

|.o

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
As unhelpful as it may be - I jus' wanted to chime in as one of the few "others" that not only doesn't have a cell, but flat-out refuses to even have a land-line. :D

I despise phones... well, more accurately - the effect cell phones have had on culture in general ;) I have been known to use skype from time to time however... don't tell anyone tho heh

|.o
Barely,
I have to admit I have much the same feelings. I suspect many or most of us do. But I can't get around needing a phone now and then ... at least I think I need one ... at least I know I'm glad I have one ... sometimes.?

PS: All kidding aside, keeping in touch with the family when I'm away from home has recently become a requirement ... plus I'm getting older ... so ... a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
It's prolly easier and makes sense for you to have a cell given your situation, I'll admit it's actually a "luxury" to be able to escape such things *shrug* It's just the inherent dependency so many have seemed to develop that bothers me - even texting/calling others in the same house as the main example o_O

'Puter geek tho I may indeed be - if yer a friend and ya wanna talk, jus' come on over and we'll have a few lol

Still, Verizon has some really good package deals if yer after internet access with your phone, I've been looking into Virgin Mobile's Broadband2Go for my netbook, combined with skype's VOIP service and I'd be quite well covered... but I think our needs & applications are a bit different heh - I'm yappin' with other geeks all over the planet, you're lookin' for roadside emergency help and friends & family...

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
verizon has a plan much like the auto club, AAA.

i think it's like 3 or 4 bucks extra a month and you get roadside service, free tows up to 20 miles, jumpstarts, doors unlocked, fuel etc.

i called my rep and asked if that covered breakdowns on my bike, and he said if it's legally registered (which it is) it's covered.

i can imagine that call, "hi, i got a flat tire, can you send a little tow truck?" or, "i need 50 cents worth of gas and some 2 cycle oil..."

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
Another option is a tracfone which is the way I do it, but it does have it's limitations. I picked up a nice motorola W376G flip phone with double minutes for life and now it's just the matter of buying the minutes. Generally, the 60, 120, and some of the 400 minute cards are only good for either 30 or 60 days, but they do sell cards good for a year. If you buy 60 minutes and add it, I get 120 minutes total just because of the double minutes for life.

The only reason why I got one of these things was for emergency, because I hate phones, but I bought this off Ebay for only $12 so I got a great deal on it.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i have a track phone for my wife and i have an iphone lol. its like carrying around an ultra small laptop. is a bit expensive though. that is why i can only aford a track phone for my wife
laff

ohh if you get a tracfone google tracfone promo codes before adding new minutes and stuff. people post codes of promotions going on. i got 120 minutes and 180 days for the 60 minute 90 day card i bought her. worked great

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Think of it this way, when you're riding you can't hear to phone ring EVEN if it's on vibrate! laff

I just got a droid phone and one of the features I'm really going to like is the GPS 'cause I tend to just wander back roads when I ride. I've gotten turned around and lost more then once.

Another nice feature is called Latitude (by google), it'll show where I am on my wife's phone and vice versa so if I ever need to be picked up she'll know right where to come get me. :D

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
Paul & Hiker,
Thanks for letting me know about Tracfone. I just got back from Wallyworld with a Trackfone LG420G ... even has a camera. Cost was $19.95 and I bought a 60 minute card for $20 (will check out the link you gave me Paul and hope for extra minutes). Will dive into the start up directions pretty soon.

Look out world ... Mikey's goin' cellular! :D

(Thanks to all for their input.)

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
find the coupon with the latest date on it mike. when you ad minutes they ask if you have any promotion codes. say yes and use the best code with the newest date you can find online. some of them are pretty good and nothing wrong with free
dnut

asianflava

May 13, 2010
Colorado
I can vouch for prepaid cellular, I've used Virgin Mobile for years. I hardly use my phone, I only carry it so my wife can get a hold of me, or if we go on a trip. Oh, and I use it as a place to save all my phone numbers.

Calls are more expensive by the minute, but it is cheaper in the long run for infrequent users like me.

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
My wife uses a Motorola , Trac phone and often gets deals for extra minutes . She is very frugal and I myself do not use cell phones . To me they are a leash around my neck . If I go on a roadtrip for a few hours she will ask me to take it and explain to me how to use it . I forget how within minutes .

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I did not cave yet. I don't have a cell but my wife does. I'm not allowed to touch it she doesn't want me to improve it.

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
find the coupon with the latest date on it mike. when you ad minutes they ask if you have any promotion codes. say yes and use the best code with the newest date you can find online. some of them are pretty good and nothing wrong with free
dnut
Paul,
This is just the kind of step-by-step help this ol' guy needs. Thanks again.
Mike

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
You guys know me and I don't say bad things about nothing except when it's a big rip off. I have had Cricket phone & Internet service rotfl in two cities and it is useless! I tryed to pay my internet account with Visa & master card less than an hour ago and could not do it. They only want cash! or a three $ fee for the card. Paul is right, Trac Phone! Some rainy night you Will need it. (c)