Electric start for 4 strokes

GoldenMotor.com

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
I remember my neighbor having a lawnmower that had electric start. I would like to attempt a 4 stroke project but I just can't get past the look of having a pull cord on the side of the motor.

Is there a way to have electric start? Is it only on the larger motors? Can one of the commonly seen motorized bike kits (4 stroke) be converted?

Felton

Dec 17, 2009
GA
Saw a guy start an outboard motor with a cordless drill once (the pull cord broke). I bet you could rig something of that nature. Better hope your battery doesn't die if you stop.

jared8783

May 13, 2009
Elkhart, IN
i wouldnt attempt it unless you have a way of charging as you ride

if ya do figure a way of charging it as you ride let us know

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
An 18 V cordless would start a 50cc many times on a charge. You can mt a pulley on it and carry your ripcord in your pocket (you wind it around the pulley a few times tightly and let'er rip). As long as it starts w/i 2 pulls it's not much hassle but if that's not your motor or you run in to some starting trouble, your screwed.

jared8783

May 13, 2009
Elkhart, IN
Could you use the friction power from a headlamp to charge it? either way... if it gets figured out, and looks good... i’ll take two! good luck
could you elaborate a little more on your suggestion please

are you talking about the bicycle generators, those really tiny things?
i wonder if those would be up to the task of constant 30mph+
i wonder if those even have voltage regulators?

Jesse002100

May 1, 2010
Parma Ohio
i have a headlight and brake light with a tiny generator that rides the side of the tire have had it for years before the motor and now 200 miles since the motor it works fine the wheel gets warm but i ride 12 miles to work every nice day it still works. but the lights are 6v so i dont think at 6v it could crank it over at such a low amp. it could maybe act as a battery tender while riding but i dont know if it would be efficient. i use a 12v high speed drill to start my pocket bike it starts in about 3 seconds.

my best idea would be the heavy duty in hub generators they are a constant drag and generate alot more power.
like these many options but a bit pricy considering tearing down your old wheel and having a new one built around the generator and trued.
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/schmidt.asp

Last edited:

[email protected]

Sep 25, 2009
San Diego
haha... sorry.... I don’t know anything about electricity... I was just thinking... if the problem is to get electric power, and the technology exists to create it from friction on a motorless bicycle .... it seems logical that the power created by a 4 stroke (being far greater than my chicken legs) should be able to power the same thing on greater scale to produce a greater amount of electricity... but then again.... I REALLY do not know anything about the subject... just seemed like something i would be interested in if it comes to be.... good luck guys!

NYFRAPRES

Jul 28, 2012
US
For those that have posed the question of recharging a 12 volt motorcycle battery, I have the solution. It requires that you remove the recoil starter and extend the threaded stud. This will allow you to attach a puppet wheel. Then it is a matter of making brackets to hold the alternator. I have not set mine up yet as I am still working on the problem of an electric starter. For that I am looking at starters for atvs. Being that they probably require a geared wheel to be attached I will still have to allow for that to be attached onto the extended shaft. In theory this should all work perfectly. This will not only keep the battery charged but it will provide all needed power for lights and any other accessories. I'll let you know how it all works out. That is once it stops raining here so I can work on it outside..trk

Bigboy

May 4, 2011
Placerville, California.
For those that have posed the question of recharging a 12 volt motorcycle battery, I have the solution. It requires that you remove the recoil starter and extend the threaded stud. This will allow you to attach a puppet wheel. Then it is a matter of making brackets to hold the alternator. I have not set mine up yet as I am still working on the problem of an electric starter. For that I am looking at starters for atvs. Being that they probably require a geared wheel to be attached I will still have to allow for that to be attached onto the extended shaft. In theory this should all work perfectly. This will not only keep the battery charged but it will provide all needed power for lights and any other accessories. I'll let you know how it all works out. That is once it stops raining here so I can work on it outside..trk
Moto Guzzi used the Generator on the Falcone Model for a starter as well!
One part - two functions!

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
A good alternative would be a starter/generator from a 6hp diesel engine.
http://tinyurl.com/ctb4t6m

Carroll Stream carries these engines and I've been tempted to buy one in the past. According to the Ebay listing, they put out 8 amps. Contact Carroll Stream or wait for one to be listed on Ebay.

Update: Searching the web, I found that you can convert the 212cc Predator to electric start and charging at 3.5 amps.

Buy a honda clone charging take off from Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-GX200...arts&hash=item2ebf1dbd24&vxp=mtr#ht_500wt_969

Also need a clone starter and start key.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZodC58L0Zc

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Moto Guzzi used the Generator on the Falcone Model for a starter as well!
One part - two functions!
That device is called a dynamo.
Put power to them and they act like an electric motor. When spinning by engine power they act like an alternator or generator depending on the internals.

This style of engine, quite popular on the cheap pocket bikes and stand up scooters, uses such a device.
http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/49encowielst.html

They do require a simple electronic controller with regulator to function properly.

zippinzach

Mar 30, 2015
texas
I have an idea this is only in theory but would it be possible to remove the pull start and attach a pully wheel to the main crank then bracket a small electric motor to the top of the engine then attach the pully wheel and the motor with a belt of sorts (would you seriously want a drill sticking out of your bike?). You could wire a key switch and a rechargeable battery from a motorcycle and use that as the power source for your lighting and other onboard electrical devices. To charge that battery I would suggest mounting a counter clockwise electrical motor (remember a motor backwards is a generator) to the frame of the bike and use a sprocket to attach it to the main chain ... I would strongly suggest against friction drive (smother ride and less ware on the wheels). Remember to gauge the current and set up a specific resistor set up so you song blow anything up. I'm only 16 so I don't know how creadible I am but I hope I helped.