attention colorado well everybody must read

GoldenMotor.com

freewheeling frank

Mar 10, 2009
ridgway colorado
google colorado hb 09-1026 this is recent laws passed that redefine motorized bikes i havent read the whole thing yet but just glancing thru it i dont like it. no manual clutch! this is now called an engine disconnect device, it seems we will be required to have insurance. we are now called low powered scooters, check it out guys, frank

http://www.leg.state.co.us/Clics/CL...414110487257537001BBD1D?Open&file=1026_01.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
I read most of that bill and Im still confused, it defines a low power scooter as being under 50 cc with no maual clutch as I understand it. So if you have a manual clutch this doesnt apply? It seems their cracking down on scooters and were caught up in it. My DE kit has a lever to raise or lower the motor to engage it. Is this considered a manual clutch? In no way is this an automatic clutch. Most scooters Ive seen have centrifical clutches and this I would consider automatic...................rrrrg I need some other opinions. Might as well buy a harley if the same rules apply.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Another example of government bumbling. A bunch of lawyers (law makers) get together and pass bills without the slightest knowledge of the subject. Did you notice that nowhere was the word "pedal" mentioned? What I ride are bicycles, not scooters. I can pedal it anywhere I want and any person with a little common sense can look at it and see it is a bicycle. They crossed out the words "motorized bicycles" ; does that mean this BS doesn't apply to us? Until I hear different that's the way I'm taking it. Might as well bite the bullet and buy a motorcycle. Nahhhhhh.
Tom

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
OK after studying this bill to death Im confident that this is aimed at scooters because low powered scooters under 50cc are required to have lights, brake light etc. My fear is that bicycles with auto clutches are going to fall into this trap but technically I dont see how if the bill is taken in its full context.

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Any other required equipment for a low power scooter?
Under Section 44, 42-4-220 of Colorado Revised Statutes, low power scooters are required to meet headlight requirements, a rear lamp, an audible signal device, and a brake. The headlamp should 'emit a white light visible from a distance of at least five hundred feet'. Low power scooters are required to have either a rear red reflector visible from fifty feet or a red taillight visible from five hundred feet.

freewheeling frank

Mar 10, 2009
ridgway colorado
okm i was hoping to open a can of worms here it seems that this bill is re classifiing our bikes as low powered scooters along with putting some pretty ridiculous rules in place ya it is pretty confusing, i dont mind paying a small fee to ride but did you look at the requirements to become a dealer that can register these things? maybe theres a lawyer on this forum that can help explain all this but for now ithink that someone has turned me into a criminal

WayneC

Aug 2, 2009
Clearwater, FL
maybe theres a lawyer on this forum that can help explain all this but for now ithink that someone has turned me into a criminal[/QUOTE said:
Generally that's what happens with the passage of new bills/laws. The do-gooders just end up creating a new class of criminals.