wild hair where the politicos keep their heads

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Yes some NC legislature type has a wild hair, where the sun don't shine, to register and insure mopeds. I am going to have to read the law to see how it effects ebikes. Sometimes they define moped in cc and mph. Sometimes they include Ebikes sometimes not.

Now get this reasoning...

He has gone at it a different way. Saying people and property can be damaged by a moped, so they needs to be insured to protect people. Okay maybe a scooter that does 30mph or more can dent a car. Maybe even run up on the sidewalk and smack down a little old lady. But how in the name of god can a bike with a battery that does about ten miles and hour do more damage than a kid on a ten speed flying down the road. It's just ludicrous.

With that reasoning, they need to license every bike and insure it as well. Is your three year old's bike with training wheels insured? Is the homeless dude at the shelter going to be able to insure his bike, I think not. This tax will effect you and I, who can pay for the insurance, but how about the working poor who use mopeds to get to work. What are they going to do? Insurance on the moped or milk for the kids, And before the politicos tell you they can use public transportation, even your china girl costs less to run than a bus pass. My ebike sure as **** does.

Nice move in this economy. Democrats (spit).

ps bring on that self contained hub motor....

Last edited:

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
Follow the money. The insurance industry buys lawmakers. The lawmakers are beholding to the insurers. They both find new ways to generate revenue and wash their hands of any real responsibility. The more MBs that are on the roads, the more profit potential slip through their greasy fingers:D

Last edited by a moderator:

rmeloy34

Mar 26, 2009
Wallyworld Conn.
Yes some NC legislature type has a wild hair, where the sun don't shine, to register and insure mopeds. I am going to have to read the law to see how it effects ebikes. Sometimes they define moped in cc and mph. Sometimes they include Ebikes sometimes not.

Now get this reasoning...

He has gone at it a different way. Saying people and property can be damaged by a moped, so they needs to be insured to protect people. Okay maybe a scooter that does 30mph or more can dent a car. Maybe even run up on the sidewalk and smack down a little old lady. But how in the name of god can a bike with a battery that does about ten miles and hour do more damage than a kid on a ten speed flying down the road. It's just ludicrous.

With that reasoning, they need to license every bike and insure it as well. Is your three year old's bike with training wheels insured? Is the homeless dude at the shelter going to be able to insure his bike, I think not. This tax will effect you and I, who can pay for the insurance, but how about the working poor who use mopeds to get to work. What are they going to do? Insurance on the moped or milk for the kids, And before the politicos tell you they can use public transportation, even your china girl costs less to run than a bus pass. My ebike sure as **** does.

Nice move in this economy. Democrats (spit).

ps bring on that self contained hub motor....
Dont even get me started!!!!

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I just read the actual description of the bill. It says engine (gasoline is engine e is motor) It measures it in CC you don't measure e bike as cc but in watts, so it is a technicality but hey it works for me.

Even if it doesn't effect me at the moment, it probably will in the future. Even if I only build Weed Whacker bikes again. It is still a bad bit of legislation because of the economic situation of the people who ride these things to work. I am against it on those grounds if no other. I personally can afford the registration and insurance fees. Even so I find the law dead wrong.

Just more hidden taxes from people who are supposed to be all about helping the poor.

I plan to ride my ebike as if it were a bike period. I will probably wear the bike helmet so as not to risk being stopped but not the fish bowl motorbike helmet. No sense asking for trouble in either case.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
An interesting follow up note on this...

the local paper gave the list of how the committee who recommended this to the senate voted. The only two local people who voted no were republicans. Just an interesting note not a political comment.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
My email notification has the longer unedited version of your post deacon and I'm with you all the way. So much for "change"............and "hope". The two buzz words that fooled a nation.
Thanks for the laugh

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
It looks like for the moment the good guys won but it will be back like hay fever..

An effort to regulate mopeds in North Carolina got diverted after senators rejected an effort to require riders to carry liability insurance.