Need to find the best bike

GoldenMotor.com

tascott

Jun 6, 2009
Virginia
does anyone know of a bike that needs no modification to mount an 80 cc motor? LIke such bikes as the ones at walmart a huffy cruiser or something like that?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Scott. not sure PM got to you so this might be redundant. For a truly easy and good fit, I have used steel mountain bike frames. The standard kits fit perfect and the frames hold up great. Only down side is the MTB handle bars have you sitting/leaning forward. (hate the seats too) But makes for an easy build. Also MTBs normally have better brakes and are built a lil tuffer. Again, in most and that's just a generalazation. But I still have dreams about my first MB built on an old steel MTB. thing was awesome and a really easy build. Don't worry so much about having to do mods. in a year you will be amazed at the cool things you, your self came up with.

Almost all builds will take some tweeking. You can do it! Run into any problems, some one else has and you have all of us to ask!

Please let me know how you are doing.

Dan

saetta

Jul 29, 2008
Central Missouri
I used a pacific brand cruiser single speed bike for my first build. It offers a rugged style frame, wide tires, nice seat. In addition I added suspension front forks which also had front brakes. The end result looks like an early motorcycle. 600+ miles later I still ride it to work on a daily basis.

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
I used a Huffy Cruiser I got from Sears and the only mods I had to make were cutting away a section of the rear fender so the chain would clear and adding a plate to the motor mount to work around the part of the frame that was too large. Minor stuff! The best bike is the one you have! (As long as the engine fits!)

tascott

Jun 6, 2009
Virginia
I saw a huffy broadmoor cruiser off craigslist. I think it might work it said it was a six speed. Any thoughts?

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
You are wise to seek an easy installation for your first build.
You can always get a chopper frame after you have learned to deal with the basics of
motorized bikes.
Easiest and most reliable installs are on steel beach cruisers and steel mountain bikes. Mountain bikes with sloping top tubes (top tube drops lower from headset to seat tube) make for a crowded engine installation (sometimes requiring a modified intake manifold).
Diamond shaped frames, where the top tube is parallel to the ground are easiest.
Coaster brake wheels or derailleur wheels are the easiest. Rear drum brakes (lever operated) require some mods. Disk brake rear wheel is made easy with an adaptor.
Avoid rear suspension bikes for easy installation. Just my personal opinion. Cheers

saetta

Jul 29, 2008
Central Missouri
Slight modification by way of cutting an area out of the rear fender for the chain. I also drilled a hole in the front down tube of the frame to mount the motor. At the time the large diameter wrap around frame adapter was not available.

Attachments

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Welcome motor bike mike to the forum, you will need to make a few post and become a active member before you can post any links.