Leatherman

GoldenMotor.com

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Leatherman warranty.
I have been told by a few people, and the same on the web, that Leatherman will no longer repair old models, just replace them.
I sent in my 1992 PST II, with a letter asking for repair, and they did. New file, knife and pliers.
Thought I'd pass it on...

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
They repair 'em? I have one I've been carrying on my belt since '87 (original LEATHER case). Could use a new case maybe, but the tool's held up. It's literally been around the world with me; I'd be reluctant to have it repaired, much less replaced.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
the leatherman is one of my most important motorized bicycle tools. comes in real handy for all sorts of things.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
i never get mine fixed.i somehow manage to lose them.on my 4th one now.
i use mine every day.
i do miss the original supertool i had.i may find it in the spring,lost it in the snow.

we were doing a park inspection,someone had put their own padlock on one of our gates,it would have been 2 or three hours to get around,i used my leatherman file to cut the padlock off.it went through it pretty quick.

i have gotten out of situations many times with it.

i carry a spare one in my lunch kit now.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
They repair 'em? I have one I've been carrying on my belt since '87 (original LEATHER case). Could use a new case maybe, but the tool's held up. It's literally been around the world with me; I'd be reluctant to have it repaired, much less replaced.
I wanted to keep mine as well. I did some looking into this and understand they dx leather pouches and send you a nylon one. But I was also told that they would NOT repiar old ones- just replace them. That was untrue...
I included a letter asking for mine back broken if they could'nt/ would'nt repair it.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
About 10 years back, I had a molar-tooth that had a filling in it crack while I was sleeping. I woke up with a soreness on the inside of my cheek...the now sharp edge of the filling was exposed and had slowly injured the tissue as I slept. I went to work that morning on the train, and was futilely trying to avoid contact between the two with my tongue and was generally angrily irritated at my plight. I suddenly realized that my trusty Leatherman could save me further misery: I whipped out the file and used it like a toothbrush. It ground that sharp point right off, and I was back to my sweetie-pie self. I did get some looks from my fellow passengers.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I've carried a Leatherman Wave for the past 6 years and have had it replaced 5 times. They make it simple, I just go to any Orchard Supply Hardware and give them my old Leatherman and they give me a brand new one everytime...no questions asked.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i've got a Gerber multi-tool that i've had for ever. i've always liked it better than the leatherman. the same tools, but everything works so much better, and it's more comfortable.

the dykes will cut quarters in half, the saw will cut down trees, and the file will get through anything...

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i thought a "leatherman" was someone you'd see in the castro district of san francisco...:)

gerber knives, made in usa since 1939.

leatherman, made in usa since 1983.

both companies are in portland.

i just like the gerber tool and it's cool one-handed opening, like a stilletto. (knife, not the shoe...;) )

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
i just like the gerber tool and it's cool one-handed opening, like a stilletto. (knife, not the shoe...;) )
Yup, I have the same model Gerber with the one handed opening. I think I bought it back in 1995? I used to carry it with me when I was a travelling consultant in the late 90's. Carried it on planes weekly on my belt, no problem, LOL! Times have changed...

But it is still my go-to multitool. I have a Leatherman Wave or Pulse, I forget which, in the trunk of my car and another gathering dust in the closet. But my Gerber, it stays with me! The one handed opening and smooth action cannot be beat. The phillips screwdriver is all chewed up, though, I need to check on replacing it.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Save your 200 bucks, and skip the silly watch band.

I handled it @ SHOT. Not particularly useful.

There was not a single fastener to try it on at the Leatherman display. For good reason.

The flat blade & phillips drivers are useless. They flop sideways before you can get any useful torque applied - Imagine dropping a nail through a bicycle chain then folding the chain in to a handle...

The hex bores do fit a bolt - but the rest of the contraption flops around & the bolt head needs to stick out free & unobstructed to get the huge floppy thing on it.

Finally, once you install a $300 (or more!) watch in to it, you are unlikely to use it as a tool at all.