Considering motorizing bike and power questions

GoldenMotor.com

macruadhi

May 22, 2010
Tn
Since I only get 14 mpg, I am nearly ready to build a bike. My only concern is that I am not exactly light. Like 300 lbs not light. As such I am pretty sure a 50 cc motor is not up to the job of carrying me to work at a decent pace. Can anyone point me in the direction of what size /type of engine l might need? The route I use to get to work is mostly level with a few hills in each direction.

wdbtchr

Jan 31, 2008
Juneau, Ak
Check your local laws concerning mab's. Some states don't specify a maximum displacement. If you are one of the lucky ones, you could go with the 79cc HF or even larger. I've run a 97cc Honda clone and the Toro snow blower engine with good results. Or with a printer and some decal paper you can make the engine any size you want.

virginian

Dec 19, 2009
McLean VA
50 cc is adequate for the job. On the flat, the resistance comes mostly from wind resistance, not from weight of rider and bike. With a good system you can get 30 mph on the flat.

Hills are another matter. If you have big steep hills to climb, you will need to gear down the motor. That will reduce your top speed on the flat to probably 20 to 25 mph. Pedal assisting on the hills will also help somewhat.

But make sure the bike frame that you have is strong. And make sure you have really heavy duty wheels.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
YEP the 4 stroke would be the best more low end tourq for pulling, even if it is 50cc. Bigger the better,like said check the laws.............Curt