Clutch related question

GoldenMotor.com

t6R

Mar 31, 2014
Connecticut
hi guys. I do have another clutch related question. At least i believe it is.

Is there a way to make these go from a dead stop? Maybe some kind of gearbox/clutch system?

Thanks for being patient with me guys.
Derek

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If you mean without pedaling, no. It is a motorized bicycle, not a motorcycle. To get the most from your engine and clutch parts, pedal the bike up to 10 mph then release the clutch. When you slow below 10 mph, disengage the clutch and pedal.

The other option is to go with a centrifugal clutch. But that's cheating :)

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'd assume a centrifugal clutch is an automatic clutch?
Correct. The clutch engages as engine rpm increases. The friction surfaces expand, or move outward to contact the clutch drum thereby transfering the rotational force to the drive sprocket.
The jury is still out on their reliability for a Chinese 2 stroke engine.

Tom

t6R

Mar 31, 2014
Connecticut
I have one more question left. i've got everything installed but the clutch cable. the back tire feels bound up and doesn't turn. Is this because the clutch is disengaged?

t6R

Mar 31, 2014
Connecticut
Its ok. You're being patient with me and giving me the answers that i need in order to complete the installation. So i appreciate that.

TakeiT

Apr 17, 2014
Oshawa, Ontario
Mine will take off from a standing start, I tightened my clutch to feel similar to a motorcycle, however it disables the ability to lock the clutch by pressing the button.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Mine also takes off from a dead stop but you gotta feather the clutch out gently while keeping your rpm a little higher than a regular motorcycle... I don't know how long the clutch pads will last by slipping the clutch excessively like that but it will take off from a dead stop.
I did make my clutch much smoother and easier to control by using a roller instead of the typical mounting post under the carb and it made a Huge difference in both smoothness and controlability, even with a short clutch arm and a 2 finger lever...
here's my roller setup made out of angled mild steel and a screen door roller wheel from Home Depot... makes things way smoother... and total cost to build was under $10

And here's my lever cut short for 2 finger control... Don't mind the absense of an air filter, it's a new carb and the air filter adapter is still on order...

I'm also going to make my own clutch pads when this set wears out because I want something that'll grip better and wear longer as well as work in an oil bath so my gears will work smoother and quieter. So far my clutch pads have almost no wear on them so it might be some time before I need to make a set.