Tall Bike Project

GoldenMotor.com

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
You have my blessing, my child, go with spokes. May the Great
Chain Ring always smile upon you & keep the rubber side down.
I pedal 1200 miles a year still. That's more than I ride under
power.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
This TallBike pic was forwarded to me from user CurtisFox.
Tall bikes have been around for awhile & may be making a resurgence?
I couldn't image the attention this bike gets. People literally stop to take pics and say nice things about it. I guess being 'different' has its perks.
-Low-

Attachments

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Since the weather turned ugly here I had some time to tinker on the bikes. 1st I changed the front fork on '2High', removing the 700c fork and installing the Bloodline 26" trials fork. I also installed the Sun Rhyno lite front wheel I've been wanting to use. I also removed the rear 700c wheel & installed a matching Sun Rhyno lite 26" wheel. I haven't tested it yet, but am liking the changes.
2nd, I switched my MTB from a single speed conversion back to an 8 speed cassette. I had a retro barcon shifter that I wanted to rig up like the expensive Pauls Thumbie. I bought 2 heavy duty hose clamps and meshed them together to hold the shifter...I call it the Thumbie Cheapy...lol
See pics
-Lowracer-

Attachments

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
This TallBike pic was forwarded to me from user CurtisFox.
Tall bikes have been around for awhile & may be making a resurgence?
I couldn't image the attention this bike gets. People literally stop to take pics and say nice things about it. I guess being 'different' has its perks.
-Low-
Yep they did the same thing back in 58 when i built it,some even had to go arund the block and takes a second look. I seen it in Popular Machanics mag.

Thanks Lowracer..................Curt

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I have been planning the addition of an engine to '2High' and this is what I think I'm going to do.
Originally I wanted to use the spread road bike fork and make it front wheel engine drive to a rear wheel installed into the fork.
Now, I think I'm going with a dual freewheel setup on the rear wheel. One for pedaling, the other for engine drive. This will give me two modes of power input totally independent of eachother. I'll mount the engine in frame (off to the left) and use a 5:1 pocketbike transmission. The bottom bracket on the bottom bike is the jackshaft @ 46T:26T. Engine will have a 10T and rear wheel 22T or 24T (I have both chainrings). I'm not looking for top speed here...I'll probably also swap back to the upright MTB handlebars and install the huge ATV fairing.
-Low-

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
Say Lo,
I've got the perfect engine for you. 400 bhp,280 ft pds torque,
1.5 liter, all in this little package. Clever, these Japanese.it'll
kick the daylights outa your 47R. Or..... there's this one from
an 1898 Porsche.

Attachments

Last edited:

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Last night, I started working on the rear wheel.
It took a bit of experimenting, but I got it figured out & it works really nicely.
I am using a 16T freewheel on the inside for pedal drive, & a modified MTB 22T chainring bolted to a scooter 4 hole freewheel on the outside for engine drive (holes line up perfectly, just required a little grinding of the chainring bolt tabs). I had a set of 10mm axle extenders from a past project to use on one side to get a longer axle length for bolt on installation (probably run a skewer thru it for added strength). Next step is making an engine mount in-frame.
Not sure if the bottle holder bolts (4 of them) are strong enough to mount the engine? (probably pull thru). I may use the bolt holes but add some strong hose clamps for added security. I really dont want to drill the frame though this was a 'dumpster diver special'.
-Low-

Attachments

Last edited:

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
I have a 190mm x 10mm solid axle I've no current use for;
I could send it if you like. might be stronger than one with
a skewer.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Otero,
Thanks for the offer. I ended up swapping rear axles with a wheel I had laying around (a solid 10mm). I ended up putting two solid days of work into '2High' and its now ready for its maiden voyage under engine power. I ran out of daylight today & will wait till either tomorrow or the next day to give it a whirl.
Here is a rough pic of the bike setup. Its got 3 chains, 3 rear derailleurs, 6 chainrings, BMX 8" rise handlebars and a Tanaka 47cc engine (not the 47R, but I do have one currently on 'The Beast'). Its currently geared for 27-29 mph under engine power which is plenty for this contraption. Under pedal power its only good for 10 mph at 100 rpm's...(I wont be pedaling much). I didn't drill any holes in the bicycle frame (its not my thing). Since the strongest tube on '2High' is the bottom bike's seat tube (I have a long ceiling fan drop pipe down my seat tube which holds the top bike in place), I attached a piece of long 1/4" angle aluminum 1st to the 2 water bottle holes, then I clamped the top section around the seat tube after grinding a slot in the angle aluminum, and at the bottom, I used a Heavy Duty clamp. This angle aluminum holds 2 of the mounting bolts for the pocket bike transmission. The other two bolts brace the transmission to the down tube (same angle aluminum bolted, then H/D clamped. The engine is solid as a rock in there.
I'll post more pics when I can get 2High out in the daylight.
Cheers,
-Low-

Attachments

Last edited:

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
Seems kinda like putting a saddle on a giraffe and then
sticking a fire cracker up it's.....xct2

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Today I finally got to ride '2High' using the engine around the block a few times.
All I can say is WOW! This thing is too much fun to ride.
Up until now, aside from the new fork I bought on eBay for $20, I hadn't spent any new money building it. Today, I ordered a new 22T freewheel for $14. It has 'all the way' threading so that I can swap the 2 freewheels around and use the 22T on the inside and the 16T on the outside (I got it vice versa now). This will allow me to run a larger pedaling chainring, moving it further out. It also allows me to remove the 2 bottom bracket spacers I am currently using on the engine driven lower BB. I had to push the smallest 26T chainring further out for a straight chainline to meet the current outside 22T scooter freewheel. I'm going to add my huge ATV fairing to the BMX handlebars & possibly the Hugh Jass Serfas saddle (couch).
Here are some pics of my ghetto engineering
Cheers,
-Lowracer-

Attachments

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Yep i can remember the fun i had with mine,if it would of had a motor it would have been twice as fun. It was kind of hard to pedel when there was a wind,and at 72 i don't think it would be a good idea to try again...............Curt

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
I gave away my plastering stilts after I broke my leg horse riding.
I also gave away my horse!
I'm not to sure I wan't to try your bike either.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
LOL,
Mounting & dismounting is easy (for flexible folks).
I did jump off twice to simulate an emergency maneuver (once was for real...lol) & its not high enough to cause injury. I've got a few more tweaks to do to it before taking it on an epic journey (ride it for work purposes instead of the car). I'll post details as it unfolds.
-Low-

Attachments

Last edited:

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
I dunno about that, Low. Injury can happen a any height.
I cracked a vertibra & broke a rib on the concrete when
my shorts got hooked on the seat while dismounting.
that was even more embarrassing than painful.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Otero,
Dang...I guess I've been lucky all these years!
I crashed a Yamaha FJ1100 motorcycle at high speed on sand, slid, hit a curb with my shoulder & flipped twice in the air onto someones front lawn & ended up with serious road rash and soreness & a totalled bike.
Once when cycling on a group ride, we had two trains of riders going ludicrous speed & somehow a three legged dog ended up between the trains. I ended up broadsiding the dog, flying over the handlebars, one full flip in the air and smack down on my left heel and back.
I ended up completing the group ride purely on adrenaline. I got out of bed the next morning limped down the stairs, had to sit on the potty to 'P', fainted from the ankle pain, landed flat on my face & woke again with a bleeding busted up nose not knowing where I was. I couldn't walk for a week, but healed up fine but left with a cracked Titanium Litespeed Blade frameset :(
-Low-

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
Say Low.
You should check out 'Jimmy's Tallbike Adventures' on:
World Cycle Videos, on Vimeo, currently on the second
page. These guys are touring Australia, ripping down
grassy hillsides, travelling with all the essentials, sleeping
bags, campstoves, a box of wine strapped in the fork.
To be fair, a couple of the bikes are just semi-tall.