Bike skidding when starting

GoldenMotor.com

zpitch24

Oct 22, 2013
oklahoma
I am new to motorized bicycle building. I just put together my first one and got it running last Friday or Saturday. Everything seems to be going fine with it except that it has started skidding when I release the clutch to start it. When the bike slows just a bit it turns over and starts. If this is normal then I will not worry about it. I just do not want to lock it up or anything. If you could let me know then that would be great!!.bf.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Do you keep pedaling as you release the clutch? This should help.

Also, if you don't weigh enough, there's not as much 'downforce' on the rear tire.

Then, there's the off chance that you've got an engine that has more compression than normal.......

Good luck in your motor bicycling adventures!! BTW, where are you in OK?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You should be pedaling up to at least 10 mph before releasing (engaging) the clutch and disengaging the clutch when the bike slows to under 10 mph. It isn't an automatic transmission. You'll need to disengage the clutch when traveling at low speeds.

Tom

zpitch24

Oct 22, 2013
oklahoma
Okay I will keep pedaling. I have not been doing this. I weigh around 180 so I think that I ought to be heavy enough. I am in Edmond near Oklahoma Christian University.

Thanks for your help!

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
if it's really bad you can tighten the flower nut one notch. but pedaling more is probably your solution..
Ya beat me to it bairdco, If the clutch slips, just a little, it will let it engage too slowly and not grab quick enough to "CRACK" the engine, IFF"N ya know what I mean.

fatdadddy.trk

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
You might check the tightness of your chain. If it is too loose it could cause the rear wheel to jerk or skid upon start. Chains will normally stretch to become slightly longer with use.

Last edited: