New Manual clutch for Pedal start 4 stroke

GoldenMotor.com

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I purchased a 3d clutch a few days ago and was pleasantly surprised at the quality for the price. I am in the process of modifying it to belt drive.

3dmotorsportLLC

May 13, 2016
San Diego
Hi all!

I'm the owner of 3D Motorsport & Engineering, LLC. We build these manual clutches that are being discussed in this thread. We are also a sponsoring member of this forum. I would love to answer any questions you might have about this new product. I started an official manual clutch thread here: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?p=641787#post641787

Out of respect for the forum rules, i cant really post much beyond that thread, so i look forward to interacting with you all over there if you have any questions!

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Thanks Danny. I'll post a build thread soon using your clutch. Like I mentioned, I converted it to a pulley instead of a sprocket for a belt primary and final drive. I'm curious how much tension I can use to eliminate slippage. May have to machine my pulley for an outboard bearing to supplement the one in the sprocket. I can easily change back to chain drive if I need to. I appreciate your support.

3dmotorsportLLC

May 13, 2016
San Diego
Thanks Danny. I'll post a build thread soon using your clutch. Like I mentioned, I converted it to a pulley instead of a sprocket for a belt primary and final drive. I'm curious how much tension I can use to eliminate slippage. May have to machine my pulley for an outboard bearing to supplement the one in the sprocket. I can easily change back to chain drive if I need to. I appreciate your support.
Hi Msrfan,

How did you mount the pulley? Is the centerline of the pulleh in line with the original sprocket? I would be interested in knowing the distance between the face of the clutch basket and the centet of the pulley. I think i could answer your question with that info.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
It looks pretty close to the sprocket alignment. It's about 3/8'' from the basket to the center of the pulley. I started a thread in the DIY category with photos.

Meano

Nov 5, 2011
Baytown Tx
I have just about burned up my the DBR manual clutch
Going to install the new 3D clutch looks really nice think it will be able to handle the HP
Brake setup one master cylinder for front an back brakes works great

3dmotorsportLLC

May 13, 2016
San Diego
I have just about burned up my the DBR manual clutch
Going to install the new 3D clutch looks really nice think it will be able to handle the HP
Brake setup one master cylinder for front an back brakes works great
Have you been running a DBR clutch all these years?? I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the increase in quality of this new clutch.

Meano

Nov 5, 2011
Baytown Tx
Had the DBR clutch all this time before I finished upgrades on bike.
Been riding around last couple of months only got 2 to 3 hrs on it.
I Think it work ok on less HP motor when I give bike a little throttle it slips

New clutch will be on bike very soon

3dmotorsportLLC

May 13, 2016
San Diego
Had the DBR clutch all this time before I finished upgrades on bike.
Been riding around last couple of months only got 2 to 3 hrs on it.
I Think it work ok on less HP motor when I give bike a little throttle it slips

New clutch will be on bike very soon
One of the many flaws of the DBR design is that thrust bearings aren't sealed which can allow grease to migrate up to the friction liner and cause slippage. If you plan on using that clutch more, i would suggest removing the clutch drum and cleaning the liner with acetone.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Hey Meano; how much power are you putting through your DBR ? EDIT: Nevermind. Just found your first and only thread. HOLY POOP! Why dont you have a build thread on that monster?? I'm suprised the DBR lasted an hour on that thang.

Last edited:

3dmotorsportLLC

May 13, 2016
San Diego
Hey Meano; how much power are you putting through your DBR ? EDIT: Nevermind. Just found your first and only thread. HOLY POOP! Why dont you have a build thread on that monster?? I'm suprised the DBR lasted an hour on that thang.
I think Meano will be much happier with the power capacity of this new clutch. Here is a video of it in use on a 500cc twin powered oval kart. Motor is advertised at 80 horsepower and 11,500 RPM.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wSCpnNi-yuA

Meano

Nov 5, 2011
Baytown Tx
Work on the DBR to fix the clutch cable bolt and took the clutch apart the clutch was full of grease
No wander it was slipping so much
Clean it up an back together what a difference when there no grease in there dam the luck got a flat. New tube tomorrow and I will test some more

Attachments

3dmotorsportLLC

May 13, 2016
San Diego
Work on the DBR to fix the clutch cable bolt and took the clutch apart the clutch was full of grease
No wander it was slipping so much
Clean it up an back together what a difference when there no grease in there dam the luck got a flat. New tube tomorrow and I will test some more
This picture reminds me why i hate this design. The new clutch has 3 sealed ball bearings that dont bleed a drop of grease during use and are replaceable. Also the friction discs are sintered brass (whats used on drag racing clutches).

Glad you got it going though!