Anyone know anything about Wisconsin V4s?

GoldenMotor.com

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
I've got a lead on a couple of Wisconsin V4 engines in down on their luck condition and I thought I would ask here if anyone knew anything about the breed. More than likely my daughter is going to tell me, 'No Mum, no more old engines you've got enough!', but then on the other hand dreams are free.
As to be expected I was thinking about using the engine in a three wheeled cyclecar in the style of a Morgan.

Your thoughts gentlemen would be much appreciated :)

Attachments

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
According to the Wisconsin website the standard out of the box engine weighs 310lbs, has a 3.25in x 3.25in bore and stroke and is 107.7 cu. in. (1765 cc) in total capacity. Something tells me it might be a wee bit large for wot I want. :(

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
I've been emailing the owner and he agrees that the engines are heavy lumps even in their present stripped down condition. The owner says he's willing to sell parts so I'm considering the purchase of just one cylinder casting with pistons, valves and conrods. There's no heads, but I wouldn't want them anyway as the standard cooling fins are so small as to be barely worth mentioning and the combustion chamber shape is pretty naff.

An 800cc in-line twin sounds to be much more manageable for a cyclecar. I like sidevalve engines too having owned a seriously tuned 1930s Austin 7 four cylinder engine (purchased in that condition) and a 1950s 100E Ford engine which I modified the living daylights out of for hillclimbing.
In my opinion OHV stuff is for those who don't know how to tune an engine. (Ooooooo that should set the cat amongst the pigeons)

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Mr B. knows something of Wisconsin engines and uses a single cylinder lump of thumper power on one of his builds... a great old engine on a classic build. Wisconsin made industrial type stationary engines for the most part, I think.
SB

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Mr B. knows something of Wisconsin engines and uses a single cylinder lump of thumper power on one of his builds... a great old engine on a classic build. Wisconsin made industrial type stationary engines for the most part, I think.
SB
Mr B's Wisconsin powered motorbicycle is absolutely superb. From time to time I search out his build thread purely for the sheer delight of seeing how he constructed such an exquisite machine.

I've asked the owner of the engines if he will sell me one cylinder block with all its associated parts and he's thinking about it so I will have to see what happens.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
They were or are used on farm machinery air coold big heavy bruts, mostly stationary, combines and the like. I have a friend that made a 4x4 snow blower out of one and is till using it today...........Curt

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I have used one before. it was a gas drive air compressor on a heavy equipment repair truck.
Very heavy powerful engines, but also very simple and reliable. Basically what it looks like...four singles on a common crank.
Your idea of using one cylinder bank is very interesting....PICS!

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
I'm still waiting on the engine's owner to make up his mind maniac57. I can't really claim any originality for the idea as I saw it mentioned on another forum somewhere by a chap who was building a cyclecar.
If I can't buy the Wisconsin parts then I'm sure I'll find something else to make an in-line twin out of.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
They are sturdy old brutes, and technically challenging during rebuild.

The engine case is one piece, and the crank comes out through a big hole on the PTO end - after the rods are removed.

There is tapered roller bearing set on each end of the crankshaft. All kinds of fun to set up.

Have you considered an outboard powerhead? Lots of inline twins in the 8 to 25 HP range. Suzuki 8hp units seem easy to find. Lots of 9.9hp stuff too.

Always liked the Morgan

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
FFV8 I already own a British Anzani inline twin powerhead which seems to be in reasonable condition. One problem is that its magneto and flywheel is missing which is a nuisance as I'm unlikely to find another one. I had wondered about adapting a brass Villiers flywheel and mag on to it which would look very nice, only I'd need to get a taper turning attachment for my lathe.
My first thought on buying it some years ago now was to use it in a cyclecar and the chap I purchased it from thought that was a great idea (he was a bit of an old engine nut like me). I think it's a 322cc Uni-twin, but would have to check the serial number to be certain. It has a single carb mounted on the bottom of the crankcase and its a rotary valve engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuN55RxhHcM

Attachments

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Anne:

Anzani made some very cool stuff. I would take an Iron Horse (heck even a Lawnrider!) in a heartbeat. Sadly there was not a big import trade in the Anzani utility equipment.

The twin you have I am not familiar with. The 250cc engine saw some racing here in the US. All of those seem to have been fitted with gear drive magnetos like Bosch or Wico:

I thought they were reed valve engines, with 180 degree timing?

Anyway, replacing the flywheel & mag should not be that difficult.
The shaft taper will be short, easily bored with the compound on any lathe big enough to swing the flywheel.

I would look for a current model 4 stroke lawn mower flywheel, with a crankshaft bore small enough to bore out to fit the Anzani. Predator, Briggs etc.. Most of the newer stuff has a plastic fan, so the flywheel is actually smooth.

Once the flywheel fits on the engine, you just need TWO of the mag coils from the donor engine. Mount them 180 degrees apart, in the proper location for timing. A single plate that can be adjusted would be ideal.

Dig that engine out, and post pictures!

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Thanks for the advice FFV8 :) Yes I will do that, - getting it out and taking pictures & etc, - the engine has been wrapped up in a piece of rag on the shelf for far too long. My twin is purely a bread and butter model that would have had a 'Wico' flywheel magneto and they came in 10Hp and 15Hp sizes from what I remember. Induction is at the centre of the crankcase over the central main bearings and is controlled by two disc valves either side of the central bearings that rotate with the crankshaft.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Anne:

I was just looking at a couple of flywheels in my shop, and thought of this thread again.

What size is that Anzani shaft? The large end & small end dimensions will tell me quickly what flywheels can be opened up to fit.

B

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Anne:

I was just looking at a couple of flywheels in my shop, and thought of this thread again.

What size is that Anzani shaft? The large end & small end dimensions will tell me quickly what flywheels can be opened up to fit.

B
That is a great sounding suggestion FFV8, - thankyou :)
Now that I've found my calipers I shall dig the engine out from its hiding place and get back to you with those measurements.