Clever tank mount

GoldenMotor.com

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
You can normally get a used lady's, or step-through cruiser for roughly half the price of a men's cruiser, They are great for a budget motorized build, but where do you mount the fuel tank?
I saw this clever answer on my local craigslist.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Not a bad idea but I have to wonder about vibration. It appears to me that the tank would shake itself to pieces mounted on that springy, clamped on rail.
Maybe I'm wrong completely but just from an engineering point of view I'd be skeptical.
But thanks for sharing the idea. Maybe someone can try it, maybe improve on it a little by using a tubular mount instead of flat stock, and report back.

Tom

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
That's my first thought too. Vibration nightmare. Even when firmly clamped to a solid top bar vibration can be a problem.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
I'm using 2 springer fork support bars,2 1" seat post clamps,2 halves of 3/8" bicycle axle,and 2 nuts on each side of both axles. Then the tank is mounted to the fork bars with 1/2" rubber insulated p-clamps. If a seat post stays with some of the wimpy clamps I've seen,then this should be fine. The tank,maybe not so much.

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
All really great thoughts and I only mean to add. But saw a stepthrew frame and they mounted the tank on the down tube so it was sort of standing.

above and forward of the engine.

The owner said it worked fine.

Thing I thought was cool about it was it seemed that the fill being so high up, that it seemed like you would get less slop, spillage.

Dunno but seems like a good idea. But I have not personally tried it, WheelBender6.