First Build: Electra Cruiser 1

GoldenMotor.com

Big-H

Sep 23, 2013
NJ
I got curious about this whole motorized bike thing and decided to build my own. The time spent building this was totally worth it. In the end I learned a lot, got a ton of info from some really talented people and am going to be starting the second build.

Big-H

Sep 23, 2013
NJ
Thanks!

I learned a lot from this whole build. Next challenge is to clear a 24x3 rear tire. Any suggestions other than having the motor mounts offset to the left?

rangefinder

Oct 18, 2012
Des Plaines, IL
What did you use for the motor mounts?
I have the same bike, but in aluminum.
My down tube is 38.1 mm, and the seat tube is 31.8 mm.
I know I can get the Manic Mechanic for the front,
but the rear (seat tube) has me stumped!

Big-H

Sep 23, 2013
NJ
range

I went with Manic Mechanic both front and rear and due to necessity I learned how to use a lathe and made my own bushings for it.

rangefinder

Oct 18, 2012
Des Plaines, IL
Big-H,

What was the necessity? Was it due to the "flat foot" geometry of the Electra frame. I know that down tube is pretty far out there from the seat tube.

Just a thought for more braking..., You can get a fork with Linear brake/"V-Brake" mounts for the front. See your local Electra dealer to order one.

Another thought on the fork..., The head tube is like 9" long on the Electra Cruiser/Coasters. That is crazy long. I found this..., http://bikebuyers.com/PART-SUSPENSION-CRUISER-BLACK.htm , No supplier for the shop I work at carries this, so there is that!

Electra's fenders are really great looking too. They have them in matte/satin black to match the frame. And, they are available in "shorties" or in full.

Okay, great build, you have me psyched up for my winter build project!

Thank you for showing your build,

Lee (Rangefinder)

Big-H

Sep 23, 2013
NJ
The necessity was to make a bushing for the motor mount on the seat tube. Worked out perfectly and I learned a new skill.

I am actually going with disc brakes on this. I did explore other type of brakes but I don't feel like making more holes in the frame. As for the fork, I had my eye on the Monark forks which I think will work the best for this application.
I am not a fan of fenders for the most part but I will try to incorporate those in a future build.

My aim is to keep this (and all future builds) as clean as possible.
Thanks for all your comments and suggestions!

Big-H

Sep 23, 2013
NJ
I still haven't had time to work on the bike as of October. Now that winter is almost gone - I'll have time again. Didn't pick up the Monark but I am looking for a springer fork for this thing. Any recommendations? I simple do not like the look of the single spring ones, gotta be double. I'm also looking to convert this thing to a 4stroke setup with jackshaft. We'll see how that goes ...

Attachments

Big-H

Sep 23, 2013
NJ
Thanks Moisstink. Has anyone else tried putting (3rd party) springer or chopper forks on these Electra's? I'm having a hard time finding a right size and fit. Everything I check out comes up too short.

rangefinder

Oct 18, 2012
Des Plaines, IL
I have only found for sale the one I mentioned here in your thread earlier.
And it's not the style you desire.

I work at a bike shop in the summer. We carry Electra, and I asked our rep if Electra still makes the springer forks for Cruiser/Coaster bikes. He said that they do not, and that Electra was moving in a different direction. Whatever that meant...

I also emailed Sunlite, the maker of that Monarch style fork on Amazon. They have verified my suspicion, and that head tube is only 180mm or 7.087" long. It's going to pull up short. Head tube on the Cruiser/Coaster is 7.750" long

However, I did find THIS a long time ago, and just remembered it.

It's a lot of work, but you would be the BOSS!

Big-H

Sep 23, 2013
NJ
Hey Lee,

Thanks for the suggestions. This has become quite the hunt for forks. Cripes. What I am going to do in the next couple of weeks is convert this thing to a 4 stroke and I will be adding front drum brake wheel and a few other ideas that I had. I'm going to attempt to make my own exhaust for it as well. The forks are the only roadblock that I have right now.

I also spoke to an Electra rep (over the phone) and got the same the response about the forks and their direction (whatever that meant). What I do know is that Trek bought out Electra: http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/01/06/didnt-see-that-coming-trek-acquires-electra-bicycle-company/

We'll see what happens ...

Thanks again for looking out!

Big-H

Big-H

Sep 23, 2013
NJ
Hey I'm back. Finished the upgrade. Stuck with the 80cc for now and added shifter kit, new air cleaner, new wheels (front is a drum brake). That allowed me to drop in 24x3 tire which worked out great. I just have to add some tweaks to it and it should be good to go by the end of this week and hopefully will be ordering a new seat.

Hollygrove

May 21, 2014
new orleans,La
Hey I'm back. Finished the upgrade. Stuck with the 80cc for now and added shifter kit, new air cleaner, new wheels (front is a drum brake). That allowed me to drop in 24x3 tire which worked out great. I just have to add some tweaks to it and it should be good to go by the end of this week and hopefully will be ordering a new seat.

wht shift kit did u get? and was the install difficult?