homemade gearbox? sorta?

GoldenMotor.com

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
So I picked up an early 70s suzuki 100cc. remember the ones with the carb under the case cover? the casting in the crankcase area is broke ( rod thrown)
What I'm planning on doing is removing every part of the casting not needed for the gearbox.
Since its a 2 stroke I believe the engine crankcase and the gearbox are in 2 different compartment completely sealed off from one an other.
I figure with some minor modifications I'll have a pre unit type tranny for my bike
Depending on the donor motor used 3,4, and 5 speeds oughta to be easily found and plenty strong enough for the type of builds most of us do.

Camera needs replaced will post pics soon.

THOUGHTS?

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I cut the 3 speed trans out of a broken Royal Enfield 125cc years ago planning to use it with a Whizzer motor on a Schwinn. Had flat mounts welded to it but never used it. I removed the kicker and sealed the hole for a pedal start. It has a dry clutch hanging on the left side. I'll dig it out and take another look at it soon.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Great idea!
I've always wanted to find a small manual clutch trans for a bicycle.
Very interested in how it works out!

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Rick,
I would think that as long as the transmission has a dry clutch it would work OK. My understanding always was that they went to the one piece engine-transmission combination because that it was cheaper to combine the two to make and to install them all in one piece rather than have two mounts to deal with when they were putting them into the frame.

It will be interesting to see what you come up with.

Steve.

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
Remember our gears are 15mm bore, if you want to use a 17mm bore (more common with moped cranks), you can use 6003 bearings, they'll slip right in and give you a better balanced crank, possibly a larger wrist pin and maybe a longer conrod (might need a spacer), but some mopeds have gears so the 17mm would be your best bet. problem is... the spacing between the clutch gear and the drive gear likely wont line up. I've been trying to think of a way to do a transmission; direct bolt-on for our motors, but I'm not familiar enough with the gearing and clutch system of... well basically anything, it would have to be workable either with foot pedals or with a bicycle gearing system, and would more than likely cost more than the SBP kit but for the solid gears and ease of use, it may be worth it.