Huffy 29" cruiser, Cranbig?

GoldenMotor.com

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
I searched and did not see it mentioned yet, so figured I would pass this on. Looks like Walmart now carries a 29" Huffy cruiser, the Huffy Millennial. $99 online, I have seen posts of them being $89 in the stores.

(I have not seen it in person, that picture was taken from a post at ratrodbikes)

It would probably make for an easier build for someone insisting on a 29er but not wanting to go with an Onyx? I wonder if the area inside the frame is bigger too, or they just made the minimal mods to shoehorn some bigger wheels on?

Attachments

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
I've just finished two Cranbrook builds and I'd say that this frame is larger. The angle along the top tube looks different. The motors fit easy enough in the Cranbrooks too, so I suspect this would be no problem. They're currently listed for $99 at Walmart. I was at my local Walmart this past Saturday and didn't see this bike there (I'd have noticed too).

If I score another cheap motor, I now know what bike I will buy to put it on!

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
Well that provided all we really need. These bikes clearly use the same cranks and pedals so if you scale them appropriately and super impose them, you can see the frame differences clearly. Excuse the crudity of this rendering. I'm at work trying to do it quick using Microsoft paint. At home with photoshop I could do a much better job. Not really necessary though.

From my experience with cranbrooks I'd say a motor would fit in this bikes frame just fine, though with a steeper downtube angle, it'd sit a little higher in the frame.

Attachments

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Yup, from eyeballing the two earlier that seemed like it to me as well, a slightly higher mount but still pretty easy. Good idea overlaying them (^)

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
I saw one on my obligatory pass through the bicycle section at my local WalMart. beefy spokes like the Cranbrook, wide flange front hub with plenty of room to drill and bolt up disc brake adapters. I think the frame is bigger than a Cranbrook....definately bigger than an Onyx/Onex.

MHF

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
And it sure looks like a 36 hole spoke pattern, too.

As a 6 footer, I'd sure like one of those for a motorized bicycle. The only downside would be the non-interchangability of wheels and tires.

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
Yes, I forgot to mention that I counted the spokes...definately 36 front and rear.
Maybe next trip through I'll be packin' my dial indicator and check the stem and seatpost diameters

MHF

Last edited:

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Oh, I'm sure that you'll find them to be the same.

No doubt the builder uses as many parts as possible across different models.

We've just gotta hope they have the wisdom to change to a heavier part when it really is necessary.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Same as........??
all the current huffy's.
Manufacturers seldom tool up new parts for just one or two models.
They use the stuff they already make for other bikes. They change the details but use the same parts mostly.
It's simply too expensive to make separate parts for each bike model.
Most brands use the same components with different names.

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
I want one. I have been wanting a LARGE old school cruiser and that's a lot cheaper than a 50's Schwinn. And I can do whatever I want to it cause its just a huffy so who cares. Only problem is can it handle a heavy guy like me. LOL just kidding I'm skinny

Last edited:

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
Yes, I forgot to mention that I counted the spokes...definately 36 front and rear.
Maybe next trip through I'll be packin' my dial indicator and check the stem and seatpost diameters
That info would be nice to have.
MHF
A guy on other forum says it is 1" stem. I really like this bike.

Last edited:

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
Oh, I'm sure that you'll find them to be the same.

No doubt the builder uses as many parts as possible across different models.

We've just gotta hope they have the wisdom to change to a heavier part when it really is necessary.
What size seat tube does Huffy us on all their bikes? I have never bought a Huffy before but I couldn't resist. I just bought one. Its all your fault Maurtis! I ordered it so cross fingers and hope I get a good one. This would make a good cheap 2 stroker but I plan to go electric.

Last edited:

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Hope its not as uncomfortable as the regular cranny....very poor ergonomics....
That'll depend a lot on individual preferrences and on the age range of the rider.

I'm in my 50s, for instance, and there is no way in the world that I can ride bent over as much as I did 30 years ago. I've made my Cranbrook comfortable with a laid back seat post, set as low as I can stand it, plus handlebars with as much rise as possible. The Cranbig would suit me fine with it's headset sitting higher up. I'd have more room for adjustment.

But others want to be bent over as much as possible. It does have it's advantages.

I guess I'm veering off a bit here. More to the point; I wouldn't agree that the Cranbrook really has poor ergonomics. It's just that the 'perfect' bike will be different for each rider.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Sorry for the inspiration ;)

How are you planning to run electric? Hub motor? Mid drive? If going with a hub motor, make sure to get a slower wind since you have those huge wheels!

I look forward to seeing your work, should be a super cool build!