1952 Schwinn Next build Maybe?

GoldenMotor.com

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
My son Sold hes Trek Today with the BGF 66cc. I jokingly told him before he sold it if dude bought it that when he went to pick up his Fuji frame he wanted to build that he could get me The Schwinn I was looking at. Well he did not take it as a joke and got it. He gave 100 for it and is trying to charge me 120 lol. Kids for you they forget about the use of your tools and the gas you get for them lol.

All that said Im sure ( most likely ) Ill end up with the bike. here is the link to some pics I took of it. Im needing ideas for wheels I know Im going to go with a 2stroke on it Dax balanced bottom end. I thought about painting it but the more I look at it I love the 1952 paint. So any ideas on wheels maybe tanks ect or just comments about the bike Id love to see on this build feedback will be greatly appreciated

http://motorbicycling.com/album.php?albumid=1350

brnot

hsvmick

Mar 23, 2011
hobart tasmania australia
how you going scott.d.lang , if i was needing wheels and the location your in i would go the workman's or the clunger set which i see many rate very good for the money but really its up to you what your doing to your ride and cost you want to spend ...a custom in build tank would be cool for your 52 schwinn too auflg

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
The paint is nice. Bairdco could give you some tips on making the most of the original paint job. Are you sure that the bike is a 1952? I had thought the Americans were early 1960's, but I'm no expert. A clue would be the size of the wheels... 2.125 would suggest early 1950's while a middleweight tire would be later Either way it is Chicago made and looks to be in good shape considering. It would make a fine build with plenty of room for your engine.

Husky bicycles also sells heavy duty wheels.
SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I'd be inclined to leave the original paint as well if it were my bike. A great looking ride for the money as well.

I'd be reminding my son that a free bike for Dad is the cheapest rent he'll ever get. Of course with my son he'd just remind me that some day he'll be pick my senior care home. :)

Steve.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Although my frame is a reproduction (pretty sure it is anyway, cant find a s/n), its the same frame. I didn't get it with the original paint or any other components though. I went with a Worksman front drum wheel and huffy rear wheel. I painted mine black. Also went with motorcycle forks. I definitely think you should keep the bike as original as possible. Good luck with it.

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
Are you sure that the bike is a 1952? I had thought the Americans were early 1960's, but I'm no expert.
SB
Im no expert either all I can go by is the vin on the bike and the vin puts it at september 13 to 14 of 1952. that said dont mean anything else on the bike is 1952 lol.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Scot,
I'd go with whatever the serial numbers say. 52 it is. I just learned that the first Americans were decade earlier than I'd thought. I know part of the advertising campaign in the sixties was that everything on the bike was was made in America (and proud of it). This was at a time that English 3 speeds with skinny tires were making serious inroads in the states. You've got a nice bike!
SB

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
well since I started this thread Ill just use it for my Schwinn build.

Since I asked the question Ive started getting parts.

I sold my huffy and bought a set of wheels with steal rims and 12g spokes, adapotor and 40t sprocket. I have the Dax balanced bottom and a new top end on its way. along with a rt carb from Dax. The only other thing on the way now is the puch 70cc hihi head.

as soon as the top end gets here Im skirting the piston, porting it for my reeds and doing some work on the top of the piston. Im going to also polish the ports on the jug clean up the edges on the inside of the jug where the ports come out.

last thing and I forgot to mention it sooner I have a tuneable cdi and a coil so I should have a stronger spark which should give a cleaner burn.

the last thing I will be doing motor wise will be a exhaust from Jake http://www.thejakebike.com/parts.html but it will be the mid of october before I can do that so break in will be on a stock pipe );

Pluto

Sep 3, 2013
Chicago
Looks like that is going to be a great build. I really like the old paint too.

Neat to have an All American Chicago made cruiser cruising the mean streets of Chicago.

Keep us posted with pics...

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
well if usps is right Ill have my motor tomorrow. if it is Im sure Ill be makeing people mad at work because most likely ( unless I come to my sences ) I will be bringing my piston and jug to work to do the port work to the piston and jug. the only problem Im haveing right now is finding the bolts I need for the front mount so wish me luck on my trip to home depo on that. my hope is to be able to ride it to work monday if not sunday.

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
I have to wait till wensday afternoon to get my bike together so I have my fingers crossed that when I get paid that I can find the bolts I need to mount it on my bike.

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
good news I fugured out a way to get my motor on my schwinn till I can get some better mounts bad news my crank arms are bent in words and are hitting my motor so still cant ride it and have no way to fix it since I have no way of heating up the crank arms.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Scott, I've bent the arms on several cranks using the armstrong method. No heat. You need a vice firmly mounted on a workbench. If you don't have one, someone you know does. Then you need a cheater pipe to give you some leverage... something like a three foot section of old water pipe that will fit over the crank arm in effect extending it. Then you bend it. I'm in my late sixties and no circus strong man, so it can be done.
SB

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
I thought about that but I dont know many people in chicago for one lol so no vice or pipe lol Im watching some vids now to learn how to pull my crank I am going to check on getting a new crank after I get my check this afternoon.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Scott,
It has been some time since I did a China girl on an older Schwinn. My first one was a 63 ladies American Deluxe and of course it had the original crank set. I didn't have pedal clearance either. Someone here clued me in to the fact that one piece cranks (like what you have) were narrower on the old Schwinns than the same kind of crank sets on bikes from Asia... Japan & China... they are a little bit wider and just enough so that there was clearance. So, if you can find one all you need is the different crank set. You will need the whole thing... bearings, fittings and such since the threading is different, one being metric and the other not. Even a set from a 24" bike will work fine. Used is just as good as new! Thrift shops sometimes have bikes for cheap or look in your local shopper or Craig's list. Good luck! Oh, and when you go to remove your crank keep in mind that the threading is backwards... to the left tightens and to the right loosens.
SB

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
thanks silverbear for the info one question though will a 3 piece crank fit my guess is yes but I would like to know for sure.

funny thing last night/this morin I almost got the bike to crank one footing it lol