Nexus inter3 rules!

GoldenMotor.com

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
Thanks Ron! Also consider in my configuration that Im driving a 12.5 inch tire, which is goina spin up around twice the RPM of a 26" tire, making my torque per revolution even less!

Somebody who could run the numbers for us may be able to compute the standing torque a heavy rider exhibits on a rear hub. I think I would agree Ron, that a non-powered rider puts more torque on the rear axle than my engine applies to the jackshaft at peak power or torque. Double the RPM = Half of the torque.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
The 26 inch dia wheel may not change anything because of the much larger rear spocket required for the large wheel to acquire the same performance. imo.

Most of the builds need a gear reduction jackshaft (or transmission) or a very "big" rear sprocket for the motor to reach correct rpm for its power band.

Ron

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
In some applications yes, but mostly Im thinking of the guys who either use the sick-bikes shift kit , or the GIANT 4- bangers, and 24 tooth or less. Not often do you see a 44 tooth attacked to the hub input splines of the rear.

Also, what kind of final spread would we get using such a large sprocket for rpm? Would it narrow or widen then final MPH? hrm.... math is fun.

babo

Dec 21, 2012
CAN
That's a cool machine there and it's impressive how reliable it's been. I have wanted to make a 3 speed for years but always thought the only way to do it was laced inside the wheel, I thought the higher rpms would be harder on it than the torque load. Also had no idea about parts like that 5:1 gearbox which really simplifies the setup.

Gonna be making my own stand up scooter on a 12" modified push scooter using many of the same parts as you. Thank you for the inspiration.