Sportsman 200 on Steroids

GoldenMotor.com

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Nice Job!! Pat......Can I ride it ? (lol !) I like the color too! so do we consider it a M/B or motorcycle ? what will you do to make it street legal, IF?

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Nice job Pat, this is your most beautiful bike yet. I love the color and finish. I also like that you used a vintage style pedal on this build. It's the small details that really make it look authentic and finish it off.

Did you use the same counter shaft sprocket setup on this bike that you have used on previous builds of did you design another version of it?

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
That is a great build Pat, you are always a 1/4 mile ahead of me... Not sure if I can catch ya...

What's the plan for this bike? What speed are you looking at? That cc of a motor, I have my speculations to what was built but will keep my mouth shut. You sure have a good guy by your side for motor work (Agk)

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Did you use the same counter shaft sprocket setup on this bike that you have used on previous builds of did you design another version of it?
Hi Lurker,
When I figured out all my offsets it looked as though my standard reduction drive would be fine. I drew up the tires when they were not fully inflated. Thought they were 3" wide and turned out to be just over 3 1/4". I went ahead and made some slight adjustments. Required a thicker adapter plate for the rear sprocket. Front reduction unit was the real challenge to narrow up, but I was able to make it all work.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
That is a great build Pat, you are always a 1/4 mile ahead of me... Not sure if I can catch ya...

What's the plan for this bike? What speed are you looking at? That cc of a motor, I have my speculations to what was built but will keep my mouth shut. You sure have a good guy by your side for motor work (Agk)
1/4 mile ahead of you? Yeah, right. I thought the Morini was the best engine going till I saw you running your first clone engine. A week later I had one sitting in my shop trying to figure out how to make it work. Initial plans are to see how fast she will go. My last bike could push 60 mph on Simplex tires. Now that I have H rated motorcycle rubber I guess I'll see how tall of a gear I can push. If I can push a 40t rear sprocket it should do over 80 mph. It will be interesting to see if it will still pull away from the line smoothly. I'll keep you guys posted!

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
I have no where near the engine mods as Pat does. With my 200cc I have the 22mm Mikuni, stiffer valve springs, racing flywheel, and the better connecting rod. No porting, no cam, probably restrictive exhaust. I can do 53mph on the flat with Pats 44tooth rear sprocket. With more power, lighter bike, and more aero seating arrangement I would be surprised if Pat couldn't hit upper 70's, lower 80's. Be sure to get video!

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
We did some pretty serious testing today. Leaving the front primary gearing alone and working with the split rear sprocket system we had the following results:

48t rear sprocket at 71 mph

44t rear sprocket at 76 mph

40t rear sprocket at 68-75 mph

It would appear that the 40t in the rear is just a little too tall to push. The 44t seams to be the best balance. All speeds were measured with a properly calibrated digital speedometer mounted on the bike and a chase vehicle so these are accurate numbers. Bike was rock solid stable at these speeds, too. Speeds were also not just momentary numbers. I held it at 75 mph for at least two solid miles before I let off. It's a big claim but I think I now own the worlds fastest motorized bicycle!

Bonneville Flyer by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
WHOA!!!!!!!! That thing is bad. I love this bike. One thing though, the bike is perfect and far beyond anything i could ever build but to my eye, one small thing that looks odd to me is the silver secondary chain guard. I dig the silver primary chain guard but feel your bike would be that little bit nicer if the secondary was red. Just a small criticism, just thought id share my $0.02.

Either way one of the nicest bikes ever built here, and definitely the fastest.

Just wondering what the centrifugal clutch that you use? Ive CCC use the same clutch.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
WHOA!!!!!!!! That thing is bad. I love this bike. One thing though, the bike is perfect and far beyond anything i could ever build but to my eye, one small thing that looks odd to me is the silver secondary chain guard. I dig the silver primary chain guard but feel your bike would be that little bit nicer if the secondary was red. Just a small criticism, just thought id share my $0.02.

Either way one of the nicest bikes ever built here, and definitely the fastest.

Just wondering what the centrifugal clutch that you use?
Ive CCC use the same clutch.
Harry, see this link below. If I'm understanding your question correctly, you are asking Pat what type of clutch he's using?

Pat, has custom designed his own ECCENTRIC'S aka reduction drive / Pedal Gear Crank system, that is similar to those used on Early Teen's motorcycles.

I have copies of the Original 1914 Patents showing Mr. Harleys design, yes from The Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Co.!

The below post is from Pat's thread:
Whizzer Powered BTR, it's post #24, where Pat describes his engine reduction pedal drive system.

Pat's, design is inspired by Early Teen's motorbikes aka motorcycles.

Awesome work Pat!

Peace C.H.

See below Link to Pat's thread: Whizzer Powered BTR.

http://motorbicycling.com/showpost.php?p=245558&postcount=24

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
( Fred Sanford ) ITS THE BIG ONE ELISABETH!! IM A COMING FOR YA HONEY!!! xct2 SISH! 76 MPH fur cry'n out loud...

Last edited:

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Pat,
Can we get a nice shot of the wheels and tires. Going with motorcycle wheels was a great idea.
My brother Rich get's credit for pushing us in the direction of motorcycle tires. It's nice not to worry about a tire exploding at speed, and 76 mph on H rated rubber is nothing to worry about. Rims are custom drilled for our spoke selection. Hubs have a fair amount of custom parts as well with upgraded axles, backing plates and spacers. Here are a couple pictures.

Last edited: