Chased by dog now engine is making a high pitch noise

GoldenMotor.com

Hacksawdecap

Jul 20, 2011
Phoenix
Yeah I was chased by a huge black dog and had to WOT it running a few stop sighs and stuff and shortly after my engine started making a high pitch nose. It sounded like a slipping clutch by way worse and it was for sure coming from a bolt on my head gasket

Before my ride I checked all my bolts and tighten them up a little including my engine head bolts. I heard a snap and I figured I stripped one of the bolts. But the bike was riding fine and didn't have any lost of compression. I thought maybe if I rode it out it would go away but it didn't...I guess I was just hoping for luck or something. any ideas?

:( maybe I should go to the person's house and try to get them to buy me a new engine hahaha jk but seriously people need to put their dogs inside or in a fenced area tall enough to protect people like me.

Hacksawdecap

Jul 20, 2011
Phoenix
Nevermind I figured it out. It's the compressed air coming for the stripped bolt. I'm screw I don't have a drill to do a helicoil repair job :(:-||

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
I have learned a diff tact ,I gen stop at stare the dog down . If you trigger there prey instinct the dog will chase you to asia ,if you stop and stare them down it stops there prey drive and they gen back off w a lot of barking. The other issue people dont understand is that making eye contact w a dog is a challenge to them to assert there dom. Sometimes (esp a dog you encounter often) if you just ignore them they wont see you as a threat. Just my two cents

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I have learned a diff tact ,I gen stop at stare the dog down . If you trigger there prey instinct the dog will chase you to asia ,if you stop and stare them down it stops there prey drive and they gen back off w a lot of barking. The other issue people dont understand is that making eye contact w a dog is a challenge to them to assert there dom. Sometimes (esp a dog you encounter often) if you just ignore them they wont see you as a threat. Just my two cents
I was raised when I was little around life stock at six foot tall and knowing what mean is far as moving sows around etc.

I will drop the bike in the street and just short of throwing cobble stones I will follow and panic the dog back to its home. I am not usually that mean but here there are parts in the South Vally where there are owners that never care about their dogs some folks have chickens in the street there.

The way I see it by the third run in with an ankle biter I give it a clue by the fourth time you can see the dog recognize me and stop in its tracks. A dog showing up on my side by surprise has a way of really getting the game out of me. Pisses me off especially when I did not see it coming. I would sometimes jam my brakes ''perfect timing'' and stomp its head.

I always had jeans on and they want your ankles.

I am not normally so mean depends on the dog a bit but I tend to never run from them. Also raising a hand in the air the very act of throwing a rock throws them off guard. Every dog has been swatted once by his owner. The act of the hand makes them studder I noticed.

But then just think about say a well trained German Police dog. Dunno I just don't show them any fear but thats me. Animals can read emotions and that is game on or game off. lol .

Last edited:

concretepumper

Aug 30, 2011
Cali
Yea just don't be scared. They smell the fear. I agree. Run them back down where they came from. I never run from a dog. I make them run from me. I am a lot meaner. So they think.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Back to your engine problem:
Over tightening fasteners is one of the biggest problems encountered with these little engines, no matter 2 or 4 stroke, Chinese, Japanese, whatever.

That sad old advice about tightening fasteners before every ride will come back to bite you if you don't understand the difference between tightening and checking the tightness of fasteners (bolts, nuts, screws etc). Once properly torqued they should be CHECKED again after the engine reaches operating temperature a couple of times. By checking, I do not mean trying to get a turn or partial turn on them. Use a quality torque wrench set to the desired value and CHECK the tightness. If they're still at the value you originally set them, leave them the heck alone.

I would venture to say that the biggest percentage of fastener failures occur when people try to get a turn on an already tight fastener or overtighten them the first time. Then they will blame "cheap Chinese parts" for their mistake.

Good luck with the repairs to your engine. There is a lot of good information here regarding removal of broken studs from an aluminum case. Try the search feature.
Tom

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
Actually I see more than just one issue here. There is the noise the motor is making and the problem of big dogs chasing one when one is minding ones own business on ones own bike.

I'm not the greatest person on motor noises but I do have a lot of experience with dogs chasing me. Before I motorized a bike they would chase me while I was on my pedal bike. Wide open throttle has a totally different meaning on a pedal bike and sometimes it just aint fast enough to make a difference.

These days if a dog starts to chase me, I pull my water bottle out and slow down just enough for the dog to get a little closer. Then I squirt 'em right in the face. If I am lucky the dog will accidentally inhale some water and start to choke. They don't chase very long when they are choking. And I can't ever recall the same dog chasing me more than once.

tommyboy1442

Nov 25, 2009
chicago
i thought id throw this in there as unbelievable as it is, and im in a rural area in chicago, but it was just shocking to me, im riding down a residential street one day, mindin my own buisness, and next thing i know, i havea deer runnin right next to me as im goin down the street!!!. now one to see a deer runnin down the street in chicago was unbelievable, but to have this scared animal runnin right next to me, probably weighing in at around 6 to 800 pounds, that was scary. the faster i went, so did he-lol, so before he got too scared and trampled me, i backed off the throttle and hit the hooks, letting him pass me. what an adrenaline rush that was.

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
I got chased by a worthless mexican rat for a block or so, so I turned around went back on purpose so it would come again, it did, and I kicked it, now for some odd reason it doesn't come near me when I ride by now.

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
You don't necessarily have to heli-coil repair. Depends on what you stripped. If you go to sick bike parts, you can buy new studs for the head which are of a much higher quality then the chinese stuff it comes with. But if you did strip the inside of it, then yeah you'll need a drill.

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
Hey I had an idea. I bet if you took fiberglass resin and mixed it with fine aluminum shavings you could use it to fill in the bolt holes, then let it sit overnight then drill and tap. Fiberglass resin is very durable I'm sure it would stand up to the engine heat and the shavings would help strengthen the resin by alot. I'm guessing you need shavings not quite like powder fine but close enough to just to make a better paste.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
or a heli coil.

or, if you're gonna go through all that trouble, buy a new case, or even a new engine.

you're putting too much thought into a simple fix.

i mean, you could easily re-tap all the holes to take 1/4-20 allthread, helicoil it, or just give up and buy a new motor.

bondo's, paste, superglue, loctite, chewing gum, etc, just ain't gonna work.