PLEASE help bike will not Fire

GoldenMotor.com

rollindolin

Jul 16, 2011
boston
hi, my name is dave i am new to the site. i have a problem with my engine and i was hoping someone here would be able to help! so let me get started, i have been using this bike for a few weeks with all stock parts i got a brand new spark plug and starter fluid, i noticed recently that it was getting harder and harder to start for the first ride of the day (after first use of the day it starts right up on first pedal) but now it wont start. i tried just about everything, i cleaned the carb, quadrupile checked all the wires and connections, took off the covers and made sure there was a spark and everything was tight. my idea was there is no gas in the engine to fire. it is turning over and it has compression, ive toyed with the choke and even tried to do a tow start (drag by car). randomly AFTER the tow start i just rode it real quick to try and start it and it started! it wouldnt reall go full power but when i killed it, it wouldnt start up again. please help! any info would be great!

thanks for reading my lengthy thread
-DAVE

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
We'll need to know what engine you have to help. 2 stroke? 4 stroke? In frame or rack mount?
Help us out with some information and we'll try to offer some suggestions.
Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The engine needs three things to run:

Fuel, air and a source of ignition (spark)

Confirm these by making sure your choke is open, there is fuel flowing from the tank to the carburetor and that the plug is firing. If you confirm these and still no start get back to us and if you need help with checking these three things.
Tom

socialdistortionkid

May 14, 2011
Orange County, CA
Some good advice above^

If your motor is hard to start and it doesnt start with starting fluid then dont keep using it. That wont do anything except scar your cylinder.

If it runs for a few seconds with starting fluid then dies it is a Carburetor problem. If it takes awhile to start its more than likely weak spark or a clogged air filter.

rollindolin

Jul 16, 2011
boston
Okay, there is a spark, I just cleaned the Carb and with the tickle or what ever you call it the thing that pushes down the float the bowl overflows when I hold it down. And I just cleaned the air filter. I haven't used much starter fluid. I am thinking there is no gas getting to the spark/engine so it wont fire. Really not sure though. Thanks

socialdistortionkid

May 14, 2011
Orange County, CA
pedal it for awhile and check the spark plug, if its wet and smells like gas than your carburetor is working like it should. That leaves spark as the only option left. First try a brand new spark plug, then a new CDI box. Just because you see visible spark doesnt meen that it is strong enough to start the engine.

Ive had a few plugs foul out while riding and my motor dies randomly so i check spark and it seems fine but it wont start and a new plug made it run good.

Good luck cause ive been having issues recently with my bike.

mugmaker

Jul 23, 2011
huntington, IN
I had the same problem with mine do you have a fule shut off? mine was dumping fuel into the cylinder all night and wouldnt start till i peddeled my but off evaporating all the fuel that got in over night. now it starts right up

Skyline

Jul 20, 2011
California
I had the same problem,checked everything.Then I pulled the float bowl off and found main jet laying on bottom under float,re installed and she started..