Float Bowl Leaking

GoldenMotor.com

Watts

Mar 22, 2010
Ontario
Finally got clutch and throttle issues fixed, now my problem seems to be a leaking float bowl. I have tried tightening the 2 screws on the top that hold it into place.

It used to leak a little but now its leaking quite a bit. I dont have any cracks in the housing on the float bowl and have tried addressing any float bowl sticking issues.

Any ideas, the float bowl only leaks when gas is on of course, and bike is moving fine and fast. I notice another screw on the side of the float bowl and have tried tightening that fully and slightly loosening it as well, both ways i still get leaking gas.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The screw on the side is your idle speed adjustment.
If your float bowl gasket is leaking you can replace it or seal it with a gasoline compatible sealer such as Seal-All. I suspect that if the bowl is leaking then you have a needle valve issue. Either there is trash in your valve or the float has a crack in it and is not...floating, properly. This will also cause a rich run condition indicated by your spark plug color and loss of power. Remove the float bowl, inspect the float (see if it floats in gasoline) and clean the needle valve that the float actuates. Get back to us with what you find.
Tom

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
gas isn't by chance running down the tube from the tank(leaky fuel valve,in-line filter?)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
gas isn't by chance running down the tube from the tank(leaky fuel valve,in-line filter?)
Corgi1 makes a good point here that I missed. Make sure the fuel is in fact coming from the bowl and not a leak upstream. Dry everything off, turn the petcock on and start from there down looking for the source of the leak. I recently had a small drip that at first appeared to be coming from the fuel inlet nipple but it was actually a very tiny split in the fuel line just above the nipple. Naturally the split was on the carb side where you couldn't see it. You should still make sure the needle valve is closing off completely when the float bowl is full and the float is not cracked or has fuel in it.
Tom