Newb first build.

GoldenMotor.com

Mo'Beffah

Mar 17, 2010
Hawaii
Got a couple questions for all the helpful folks on here. Found this forum after buying my first kit (got shipped out a couple day ago). Realized most of my research was which Chinese engine kit to buy....so not a good start. That's a fuzzy area. Bit I got a grubee starfire 66cc comin an was just wondering if that was a good choice. Any happy with theirs? Dissapointed? Not sure how big these engines are so well see if it even fits the bike I wanna use. It's a 3-speed Electra cruiser but the fram is shaped tricky for this build. Here's a link with a pic. http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i165/tcates808/1268989785.jpg
any ideas how to remove that crossbar in the middle of the frame? I don't have a welder but how would you get it off with that anyway? Appreciate the help.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i've got 3 starfire 66's and i love 'em. i never tried any other motors, but from what i've read, i didn't have as many "out of the box" problems that a lot of other people have.

also, from people i've ridden with, mine seems to have more torque, without even modifying it.

as for your bike, i don't think it's gonna fit with that crossbar. you can cut it out with a hacksaw or a sawzall, then use a grinder on the leftover welds. just take your time and don't go nuts on it, and you'll be able to make it look like it was never there.

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
What a nice looking frame . Bairdco is correct as far as the remedy to get an engine to fit . I'm just not sure if your frame would withstand the missing bar without cracking other welds once you are on the road. It does happen to frames that haven't been modified . You may have a very strong frame or a very weak frame right out of the crate . You need to have a metal man check it out . Perhaps at a good reputable body shop . And perhaps they can strengthen the frame after the modification .Great choice on the Grubee .

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
I don`t thing the motor will fit good in that frame....Motor mounts won`t reach the frame....Best bikes are the tri angle ones....The middle of the frame looks like a tri angle when looking at it from the side.....Yours just looks too big/open of an area.....

gubba

Dec 29, 2008
jacksonville, florida
i agree, you have to remove the offending crossframe.
grubee includes an extra rear mount ''spacer'' and includes the longer threaded shafts fo make it fit.

use a ''double nut'' to remove the short shafts and put in the longer ones.
TIP:when putting in the longer sharfts just barely snug them in the block. DO NOT over tighten them or you can split the block.
you will prob have to extend the coil wires. the white wire is a mini amp source for a low power light. i just cut it short to keep it away from the muffler.

if you have to, go to NAPA and get some 7mm plug wire an a crimp on plug attatchment.

hope this helps. keep us posted.

stay dry
gubba