your first car

GoldenMotor.com

tommyboy1442

Nov 25, 2009
chicago
although i never got to experience the good ol days when kool cars roamed the streets with awesome good looking styling and v8 's that you could buy them cars for a couple hundred bucks and still get a quality running american made vehicle, i still did own some good ol american metal and still do. my first car was an 84' olds ninety eight with a 307 olds v8 in it. a dog, but it passed emissions and i got it for 25 bucks with a 350 trans on the side, what a deal. i have a pic posted of a similar car i owned that i got for 100 bucks. this car was great, it had a 350 motor with a 400 trans( pretty indestructable.keep it american. yes buying jap supports jobs here in usa, but the money goes straight overseas. i wonder if they will ever make a good looking car again... even today, im still driving american. cruisin the t-bird with a v8, regardless of price of fuel. id rather drive something i like than comprimise for fuel savings... put a pic of first bike as well, and even though its jap, i didnt run to my local honda store everytime i needed a part. transformed that bike in 4 months to make it for toys for tots motorcycle parade. seat has been changed since then and finished the back of frame and fender also since then. i sold that bike for $800.

Attachments

Last edited:

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
My first car was a 1972 Coupe Deville. Handed down from Grandpa in 1983. This is the car I took my drivers license test in (the examiner had to help me on my 3 point turn). I drove this my senior year in high school (84), I could load up about eight people. Picture is not my caddy but same exact car.

Attachments

Last edited:

pre-war Schwinn

Nov 15, 2009
Los Angeles 90039
well I spotted a very nice first car today, a 1957 Cadillac. when driving this car I felt very Happy .You should buy it..I did have one I got mine for free because every one called the police on it, and towed it so may times that the owners husband asked me to take it .
I fixed it up and gave it back to her
So If I were you or If You have a brain in your head, Buy this car its for sale on the craigslist right now craigslist los angeles cars for sale 1957 Cadillac Coupe De Ville

Last edited:

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Well, here it is again-

1949 Willy's Overland Wagon I bought for $220 while a junior in high school 1970
a four banger with a foot button start and 3 on the tree W/ overdrive
I had to sell it when I went to college two years later

and then theres the '69 barracuda, with the factory floweed vinyl top
bought for $1000 in 1982- 318 V8, AT, and very fast and powerful.
I sold it in '86 and got a Mustang 6 banger I thought would do better on gas- it didn't

But I first got laid in a '68 VW camper, up at the lake.

Attachments

pre-war Schwinn

Nov 15, 2009
Los Angeles 90039
I have two brothers, Vince and Mike. We three went to a Mortuary to sign the Papers on Mom. Now I am going to put Her Car on because she kept that Car for 40 Years and I made her get another one when she turned 70 it is the 1966 Red Dodge Charger with 2+2 Bucket seats and the Mighty 440 motor ase we rode home I pointed out this is where we would Floor it and top the 100 mph line up hill cause the brakes were Fred Flinstones
Now her Job it Lasted her 40 years as well it was Here , now a monument to the /Sputnik culture
We are the real thing.

Attachments

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
my dad has a '66 Charger 383/4bbl.

my first car was/ is a '51 Chevy Fleetline Deluxe 4dr sedan. havn't got it on the road yet, but I'v had a, Falcon then Tempo, Rambler, Ranger and currently another Ranger that have all been on the road..

Attachments

Last edited:

jcchappy

Aug 18, 2009
antlers, ok.
1978 3/4 ton chevy 454/turbo400 tranny steel rims tempest green paint and surface rust for accents. O and an an added plus cool points from my friends...there is a huge hole in floorboard you could throw stuff out of. still have it. hole is fixed now though.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Austin Healy 3000 roadster. Red with a silver racing stripe up the hood, black leather seats, inlaid wooden steering wheel, chrome spoked wheels, throaty Abarth free flow exhaust. After forty five years I still dream of that car sometimes...
SB

rbrtlndhl

Jan 27, 2010
La Crosse, WI
here's one for you guys... My first car was a 1985 Chevy Chevette. (we all called it the "chittyvette" with a soft "ch"...) Any way, my old man bought it for me, and it had about as much horsepower as a 1928 model T. maybe a few more. I was broke, and had wanted something my buddies wouldn't laugh at so much, so...

I took an old high-powered shop-vac, ran the hose out of the reverse end of it, through the newly empty hole that was once occupied by an air vent, attached it to my air intake, and sat the shop vac behind the passenger seat. I then put a lager alternator and a 120 volt power inverter into the car to power it. When somebody in a "nicer" car would laugh at the stop light, I would throw the power switch on the vacuum, and BOOM!!!!! Instant turbo/super!

My high school buddies and I, in a moment of lessened clarity, decided that it might be fun to cover the drive tires in 10 w 30, and smoke 'em down the road for about a quarter mile or so..."this is gonna be AWESOME!!!"

This led to a discovery that prolonged high-wheelspin and high-rpm conditions don't match well with a tiny four-cylinder chevy engine from the early eighties, with 235k miles on it, and the 3-speed automatic wasn't too happy, either.

I felt somewhat proud to be able to say that I threw a piston rod through the side of the engine block, and blew a big, red stain down the road from the transmission, at approximately the same place and time.

Luckily, I had just inherited a second vehicle, a 1979 Pontiac Trans-Am. That one died in a more-movie-esque manner, but that's a different story...

pre-war Schwinn

Nov 15, 2009
Los Angeles 90039
While on line I noticed some great photos of my moms car. Virgina Pittman She died two days ago. I knew because her hand turned cold. I have lived here in this house with Her which was Her Moms and which my Dad created in a delusion of grandure and forward thinking in 1962. He networked his powerful friends together to create a future for his kin, Me and m two brothers... Her car was fairly expensive back then populariized by"Jan&Dean" in their Hit "its the little old lady from Pasadena" This Charger is now over 40 grand and her home near a million , its diffucult to say if greed will tear us to shreads over her Legacy saved and preserved in Glorious Color Today would have marked her 82 birthday bye mom

Attachments

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Pre-war, I am so sorry. you and family are in our prayers. you OK? venting is welcomed

I love that last pic. She looks like a grand lady full of fun and good

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Pre-War, sorry to hear about your Mom passing. She sounds like my Mom and her 1969 396/375HP Chevelle.
Did the guys in your neighbourhood live in fear when they saw her out driving? Everyone knew better than to say, want to race or did she even need an invitation.

A wonderful lady and she was lucky to have a son such as yourself.

Steve.