chain drive to pulley

GoldenMotor.com

Going2Hell

Nov 22, 2013
Victor, Colorado
www.facebook.com
All of that depends on your pulley supplier... But, YES it's completely possible! Depending on the age of the gearbox itself, the HS recently swapped their 'standard' crankshaft configuration about two-years ago to a more 'universal' size. Should be able to swap the whole trans over to belt, looking at mine; the only problem would be availability of parts at low cost! Did you want to keep the freewheel on the output pulley (Did it have it originally?) and do you know the size of the crank-shaft it's meant to mate with?

** If it is an old Honda chain-box, I have no experience and know nothing; nothing at all...

Last edited:

rising low

Aug 2, 2015
sebring fl.
thanks for the info man,yeah i have a brand new chain drive racer kit,hs motor and chain drive trans.gonna scrap the sprockets for pulleys and a belt and see if i can get some life out of it, as all ive heard was that the chain drives didnt not hold up.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
If you have the standard 4stroke chain trans (I believe its a double chain 1:3 reduction) similar to the pocket bike trans? If so there would not be enough room I don't think in the case to get the needed reduction with pulleys. A 2" pulley is about as small a driver as you can practically use. That would require having a 6" driven pulley to get the same 3:1 ratio.

I haven't had any issues with my standard pocket bike trans on my mountain bike build. Just be sure its well greased and run it.

Going2Hell

Nov 22, 2013
Victor, Colorado
www.facebook.com
Yeah, I'm over 3,000 miles now on that bike... No problems at all, oil-changes every 25 operating hours (50 is recommended) and a valve re-lashing to help the altitude issue. My rear-axle is starting to get hot around 3hrs of continuous riding, I notice the drag in the downhills.

Thanks for the compliments, I enjoy the **** out of it... Rode it through 5-inches of snow during the storm; a few times.

Maybe you could use the t-belt system for your swap? It would definitely let you use a sub 2" pulley and the belt might be able to hold up well enough. Not exactly cheap either though... maybe swap with alternator pulley -> Power Steering pulley -> alternator pulley? Great availability in belt sizes for the V-belts so you could try different configurations too.

Good luck man; I have no clue how to mount them to the shafts...

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
as all ive heard was that the chain drives didnt not hold up.
Just a note- I have built a few of these, and regularly ride a couple. Other than some drag, and some noise, I have had zero problems with the gear boxes.
I've heard that they are junk too, but I forget where. I don't hear members telling horror stories about them, and I don't remember seeing any pics of blown-up ones.
If it works, and moneys' an issue, just ride it. No need to open a can of worms ;)
I have no concern riding these anywhere. I don't think that they are any worse than any other part of these kits, quality wise.
2oz of ATF and some red gasketmaker is all you need to service it.

Good luck!

Trey

Last edited: