HT bicycle engine Odd sticky clutch

GoldenMotor.com

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
Hey guys, I'm having major issues with my clutch.

The symptoms
When I pull the clutch lever, the first 30-40 degrees of the actuator arm feel like free-play, even though this distance IS enough to disengage the clutch nearly to the point of free-rolling. THEN, when I pull the clutch in all the way, and then release it, the actuator arm only returns to where the free play was, leaving my clutch semi-engaged, allowing tons of slip and I burned up all my clutch pads yesterday.

This is becoming a real pain

What I tried
I've tried pulling the clutch cable guide out and tightening the clutch screw using the small flat screwdriver and push-the-bike-forward method. No go, actuator still wont return and clutch still slips

The only way I can make the clutch semi usable is by using the bandaid fix, which is simply tightening up the flower nut to get the pressure where I need it, but this also shortens the actuator arm angle, not allowing a full disengagement at some point (I'm not there yet).

Can anyone help me out here? The only thing I can think of is getting a new cable, but the clutch spring should be more than strong enough to yank it back anyway. It's not bound in any way, it's on a long curve with no sharp bends.

whipaway

Mar 15, 2013
NY
Re: HT Odd sticky clutch

You can change the actuator arm angle by ng the top nut and separating the arm from the shaft. Now, reinstall the arm onto the shaft splines with an angle of your liking.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada

any chance the ball bearing is missing,the one that goes in behind the push rod?
seems like the arm is travelling too far and hanging up.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut

I suspect that either your bucking-bar or the corner of your clutch-arm axle (where the half-moon is) is worn down . Have a look-see. A worn half-moon issue can usually be mediated by manufacturing and installing a slightly longer bucking-bar down from a drill.

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw

I suspect that either your bucking-bar or the corner of your clutch-arm axle (where the half-moon is) is worn down . Have a look-see. A worn half-moon issue can usually be mediated by manufacturing and installing a slightly longer bucking-bar down from a drill.
I actually ended up using a drill bit, perhaps thats part of the issue, perhaps greasing up the clutch would help? Like I need it to return completely. The drill bit is only tenths of a millimeter shorter than the original, so I could actually put the original back in

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut

Mmmm...try readjusting the cable at the clutch-arm (take up slack); then adjust the flower-nut as described on this site. You should also check the main clutch spring setting. This adjustment is also described on here. This spring's adjustment nut is accessible through the clutch-cable support post...unscrew it, access through hole.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

Bucking bar length is critical. If the one you made from a drill bit is shorter that's part of your problem.
Do as Kioshk suggested and read through the clutch adjusting procedures posted many times here. Also the moving/contacting parts, cam, bucking bar and ball bearing should be well lubricated with a good grade of bearing grease. The cam and bucking bar can be smoothed with a Dremel sanding disc to take off any roughness where they contact.

Try this> http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=22726

Tom

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw

Bucking bar length is critical. If the one you made from a drill bit is shorter that's part of your problem.
Do as Kioshk suggested and read through the clutch adjusting procedures posted many times here. Also the moving/contacting parts, cam, bucking bar and ball bearing should be well lubricated with a good grade of bearing grease. The cam and bucking bar can be smoothed with a Dremel sanding disc to take off any roughness where they contact.

Try this> http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=22726

Tom
I actually mention in my first post that I tightened the main spring with no luck. the retention ring is well within view of the cable retainer now (it wasnt when I started). There is no slack left in the cable, and the flower nut is *almost* to the point where the actuator arm will touch the retainer at full swing. I'll try the bucking bar, because of their size, even 0.5mm can easily cause a huge shift in the angle of the actuator.

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw

Update: Turns out I was "tightening" the main spring the wrong way... hahaha. Oh well, I corrected it, but I cut my cable so short (because it kept fraying) I had to keep the flower nut pretty far in, but its working again. Went to Canadian Tire and got some spray-on white grease and sprayed that in as well as well as tightening the clutch spring. Only cost $5, but I probably could have gotten away without it.

I thought it was stick the screwdriver into the screw notches and push the bike forward. Then I looked up my post in Norm's clutch adjustment guide and saw that I actually found that you push the bike BACKWARD to tighten the clutch, but forgot.

Last edited: