Front motor mount was drilled out

GoldenMotor.com

Xiodinc

Oct 15, 2009
San Jose CA
I just bought a brand new 80cc (MO) engine for 20 bucks, never had a drop of gas in it, and i was wondering if there is anything i can do to fix or replace the front motor mount. apparently a stud was stuck in there so the previous owner drilled it out along with all the threads. anything i can do to get it working? I was thinking of welding an all thread in there at last resort.

NorthMi

Jul 5, 2011
Wexford County, MI
Get a Heli-Coil installed at repair shop, hate to jury rig anything but most larger repair shops have 1/4" - 20tpi Heli-Coil sets, would work but you might have to open up the hole in the removable part. (These are also known as thread repair kits/sets), those 6mm metric ones might be found at a large foreign auto repair place, call around, Xiodnc you might check that they have at least 1/2 inch long inserts when calling for someone to do the work .
Mike

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Whatever you try to do, do not try to JB Weld a new stud in there. It will not hold
Al-Fisherman has many excellent alternative ideas to fabricate a new mount if the hole that the PO drilled is too big for a Heli-Coil.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Whatever you try to do, do not try to JB Weld a new stud in there. It will not hold
Al-Fisherman has many excellent alternative ideas to fabricate a new mount if the hole that the PO drilled is too big for a Heli-Coil.
Thank you :>)

I just bought a brand new 80cc (MO) engine for 20 bucks, never had a drop of gas in it, and i was wondering if there is anything i can do to fix or replace the front motor mount. apparently a stud was stuck in there so the previous owner drilled it out along with all the threads. anything i can do to get it working? I was thinking of welding an all thread in there at last resort.
Tough to weld steel and aluminum together. Weld hole and re tap will work.

Cheapest way and a very secure mount. I have been experimenting on broken mounts for this very reason. Although I have never had the problem when the engine is installed properly.

Broken mount repair pictures by Ron-Becker - Photobucket

And I can build you one.

Last edited: