Engine very difficult to start

GoldenMotor.com

TGT

Aug 15, 2011
California
Alright, so, here's the problem:

If the bike is cold it is almost impossible to start in under 5 minutes. Pedaling and getting up to fast rolling starts does not do the trick. For some reason, it gets easier if I get off of the bike, put pressure on the back tire, and walk it around until I get the engine to start turning over a little more aggressively. Once it starts to fire twice for every turnover, I start running and it usually starts up. At that point however I must run it around in circles for just a bit while it warms up, while simultaneously richening the mixture until I can disengage the clutch, idle the sucker, and hop on.

I've tried adjusting the idle on the carb, but to no avail. What helps me, of course, is to lean the mixture out as much as I can when I first start the engine. Lately, with a bit of time, I've been able to simply pedal about with the clutch in and eventually it will work.

It's almost as if my engine is flooded when I attempt to start the bike, and I need to turn it over several times to burn off the lingering fuel.

Has anyone experienced this trouble before? It's starting to get embarrasing when my buddy can simply pedal to speed, dump the clutch and motor away while I run around in circles =P

Acraze

May 13, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Mine sometimes takes 3 min to fire. I at least have to work up a
Small sweat but I do get it turned over by slow speed peddle.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I don't peddle more then the length of my truck, all of 5 seconds. I use a shot of starting fluid...just a little. I drilled a hole in the plastic air cleaner cover. Stick the nozzle in.. and just a little squirt. Once running...easy to start upon leaving where I've been. Been doing it for over 3 years. Yup, starting fluid is my best friend for starting. Also Throttle Body Cleaner does the same thing.

Last edited: