Clutch "Pin" Problems

GoldenMotor.com

MattLGiberson

Apr 23, 2009
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Ok...not sure if its the right terminology but I'm having problems with the "pin" that disengages the rear wheel when the hand clutch lever is pulled.

The first few times I I tried to start the bike everything worked fine. After the fourth or fifth time the bike became hard to peddle which lead me to adjust the clutch. After doing so nothing changed. I took off the clutch cover only to realize that the "pin" had been worn down by the clutch lever. Because it had worn down the clutch was not disengaging. So far I've made 3 of my own pins only to have this happen everytime. Anyone else have this problem or any ideas on how to remedy it?

Thanks
Matt

:-||

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
maybe you should make a pin out of a harder material.

clutch rod = L 26.20mm/ dia 7.92mm
clutch ball bearing = dia 7.92

when installing pin,add a small dab of grease.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You can make a new pin. Use a 5/16" drill bit. The length is very critical so you might have to do some experimentation. The ball bearing is also about 5/16" in diameter and the size is not that important. You'll want it to fit loosely in the bore but tight enough so that it will move easily and give good contact area.. Start with a pin that protrudes about 1/4" out of the center of the sprocket and adjust the length base on your clutch action. Be sure to lubricate the cam in the clutch actuator cover as well as the ball and pin with a good heavy grease. Also smooth and round the ends of the pin you fabricate. Let us know how you're doing. Clutch parts are also available from several of our sponsors, thatsdax, PistonBikes, etc.
Tom

miker

Jul 12, 2011
texas
My clutch pin is also battered after only 130 miles. Maybe i'm wrong but I think that pin is soft on purpose. I'll bet it's made to wear so the cam shaft and ball do not.

jtgolden

May 31, 2011
United States
Ok I maybe having this issue. When I disengage the clutch to start its almost like its not disengaging and the gears wont catch (sorry for my ignorance Im not sure of the right terminology here) is this why It wont start?

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
First off, anytime I have a problem with the pin/ball I go to the 5/16" drill bit and cut it down.

The pin is 1-3/32" long. Start with a little longer and cut down. About the only thing that most people have is a grinder. I myself use a bench grinder, but can be done with a 4" grinder. Forget a hacksaw.

Ok I maybe having this issue. When I disengage the clutch to start its almost like its not disengaging and the gears wont catch (sorry for my ignorance Im not sure of the right terminology here) is this why It wont start?
Most likely it's not the "gears" its the clutch pads. Maybe a adjustment is needed.

My clutch pin is also battered after only 130 miles. Maybe i'm wrong but I think that pin is soft on purpose. I'll bet it's made to wear so the cam shaft and ball do not.
There is no reason other then the junk the Chinese use. That's why it's soft, just like the crappy hardware.

Last edited: