First build stopped working while at full throttle

GoldenMotor.com

Automa

May 24, 2011
Texas
Just got my bike running today (In between master links breaking, but I think I've sorted that out.). It ran fine earlier (with full throttle) but after shortening the chain a link I took it out for test ride, drove it a quarter mile then brought it to full throttle. After holding it for a moment the engine noise changed (pitch became higher, maybe a higher rev too) and it stopped driving the chain. Tried starting it again, but it just makes the same noise, adds no power to the chain, and soon dies out because I had forgotten to mess with the carb screw to get it to idle properly earlier today when it was working.

This is a BGF kit I ordered just recently, don't really know anything about engines so I figure I can learn something. I was advised to keep the throttle down during the break in period, which I ignored because I'm not going to let some chump instruction manual push me around. I guess I had it coming to me. So is that the reason it broke, or is this something else? I've taken off the plate opposite the clutch on the engine and those two gears seem fine, I can spin them with a screwdriver and see the chain move and hear the piston so everything still seems hooked together. The next step I'm seeing is to disassemble some other part of the engine and poke around. But I've got no idea what that entails, so if anyone's got some advice or could tell me what I've broke I'd be greatly appreciative.

Unrelated note, my leg now carriers a stylish pink reminder of how hot mufflers get.

Automa

May 24, 2011
Texas
Fixed it. I didn't notice that my spark plug had unscrewed itself and was sitting on top of it's hole, did not know that was possible. Guess this is a combination of vibration and whatever explosions were going on beneath it. I have to install the spark plug by hand (small frame, no tools can fit), which apparently isn't enough. Still can't tighten in past where my hands can do it, I'll just have to keep an eye on it.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
The only possible way I can see you not being able to use some sort of tool to tighten your spark plug is if you have an angle fire head and the spark plug is right underneath the top tube of the frame. Thinking about it, that sounds like a very odd position for the engine to be mounted. Angle fire head means that the spark plug sits at an angle from the top of the cylinder, rather than straight up from it. If the spark plug sits up straight, then you can use an adjustable wrench to tighten it. If you have an angle fire, switch to a straight fire. That will solve your problem.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
If you continue to operate your engine with the spark plug only finger tight you will have nothing but problems with it. It can cause a lean burn condition which will ruin the piston and possibly the cylinder too. Also when the spark plug is loose in the head, it will rattle around in the spark plug hole with considerable force each time the cylinder fires and ruin the threads in the cylinder head.
You will be much happier with the engine, and the engine will be much better off if you can create a tool that will allow you to tighten the spark plug properly.

One other thought, slant head cylinder heads can be flipped around to point the spark plug in the opposite direction. If you did that, would a regular spark plug socket fit?

Automa

May 24, 2011
Texas
One other thought, slant head cylinder heads can be flipped around to point the spark plug in the opposite direction. If you did that, would a regular spark plug socket fit?
Thanks, that worked. Flipped the head and can now fit the tool in. Thought it was odd that my slant head came pointing straight up like that, but didn't know you could just change it.