engine stopped running

GoldenMotor.com

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
i've lurked these forums for a long time 1st post now.
i usually search to find my answers. now i have one that i need to ask myself.

i have a GT-5 grubee. a "performance" carb w/remote choke. & that short expansion chamber exhaust.. all from spookytooth.
i finally got through my first gallon of gas.
i just pored in my new gas w/ the forum recommended gas/oil ratio.
drove it about two miles. slowed down to make a left turn.
the engine died. it won't start back up.
it doesn't seem to be seized i'm guessing because if i engage the clutch i here the engine pumping. a couple times it makes a pop sound.
i thought maybe the spark plug was fouled but it looked fine. i changed it anyway.
still no joy.

i'm sorry if i couldn't express myself properly. i just had to peddle it home 4 miles.
even w/ the clutch disengaged, it was hard to peddle & i walked about half of the way home. i'm wore out.
:-||

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
After you take Bairdco's advice and check the wiring, start with fuel. Do you have flow from the tank to the carburetor? Is the tank cap venting? Is the plug wet as if the engine is flooded. You need three things to run; fuel, air and ignition. Confirm that you have all three and get back to us with what you find.
Tom

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
i thought it may be either the wiring or the engine kill switch since it has been raining a lot & possibly water got into the kill switch. so i just now checked the connections & unhooked the kill switch out of the wiring in case it was shorted.

pulled the hose from the carb & fuel is flowing.

the original spark plug was a little damp. not sure how much it too much.
i didn't have a large smell of gas. i figured it would be a little damp since i was peddling for about 60 seconds while the clutch was engaged. & i throttled it a lil.

when it first died i was going pretty fast then just slowed down for a second to turn. could it flood under that kind of condition?
it sat for 9 hours & was still dead.
i could also try the stock carb tomorrow.

i also have a multimeter. is there any electrical measurements i could take?

thanx for your quick responses.
i have even more bad news my non motorized bike has a flat. (& i'm out of cigs grrrrr)

if i can't get my motor working before i have to goto work i will have to pull of the chain to the engine. it is way too hard to peddle even w/ the clutch disengaged.

it is also embarrassing when you are either pushing or peddling a motor bike.

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
hey guys back again.
so i changed the carb to the stock one.
it doesn't run but it does try to run.
so it is getting spark.
so i got a couple of questions.

first in reference to the performance carb,
is it possible that water getting into the those two outlets that look like a tube can go onto made it stop running after a mile & a half?
am i suppose to close those holes or connect them?
i have that one that has a tube from the top to the bottom connected still.

now the stock carb.
there is way way too much slack in the cable. even by setting the throttle & the carb's adjuster all the way out.
also there is no springyness to make the throttle return to normal.
i have went inside the throttle part of the carb & it seems to be fine & the spring & cable is set fine inside.
also the choke is in chinese is it open while it is up or horizontal?

ultimately i really want the performance carb on it.
i never adjusted any screws & by plug looks like it should.
i never had any smoke & the tip of the exhaust has a little oil on it like i read is healthy.

sorry for all the questions but i did lurk this place hard to build the bike & run it through a gallon of gas. lol
i even told roland @ spooky tooth that i found them through this board so it is a good to advertise here.

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
thanx.
i did some searching & found the thread to fix the cable in a couple of ways.
i figured it was the magneto or cdi or wire.
it has been raining pretty bad here & that could be the issue.
i'm going to order a new mag & cdi.
i'm also going to order some spare clutch pads since those also need to be replaced at some point.
i'm even considering ordering a spare engine so i'm not in this same position of peddling again.

also we have a local shop that specializes in rewinding electric motors. i can check to see if they can rewind the mag since i heard the chinese one is wound badly.
funny thing is my father & grandfather(when he was alive) are airplane mechanics & both of there specialties are working on mags for ww2 airplanes.

any one can recommend a place that ships parts quickly.
spooky tooth says they can't since they are out in the middle of nowhere.

also is there a "better" type of cdi that i can buy that works in our application?

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
decoherence,

This was a first for me...

I had a local customer come in about a month ago with the exact same problem.

He was riding along and the engine just quit!

He checked it over and found out it had no spark.

He brought his bike to the shop and sure enough...no spark.

We swapped out the CDI, simply because it was easy to do...still no spark.

I checked the coil with a VOM. The readings were identical to one of the new ones I had on the shelf.

We swapped out the coil anyway, and the problem was fixed!

I can only assume that maybe a portion of the coil that is connected to the CDI shorted which would essentially be the same as not having enough turns of wire to adequately create a spark. I have unwound one of these coils...the wire is extremely fine gauge. If the wire had not been coated, (insulated), properly the coil could short in spots.

We put his original CDI back on after replacing the coil.

He emailed about a week later and said that the engine was running better than it ever had. Based on the Ohm readings; I don't know, for sure, what was wrong with his original coil. I wasn't shorted, nor did it show an open or break...but replacing it did fix the problem.

Jim

Swybud

Apr 24, 2019
I have no spark on the plug I've changed the spark plug I've changed the magneto coil I've look at the wiring I still have no spark

Swybud

Apr 24, 2019
i've lurked these forums for a long time 1st post now.
i usually search to find my answers. now i have one that i need to ask myself.

i have a GT-5 grubee. a "performance" carb w/remote choke. & that short expansion chamber exhaust.. all from spookytooth.
i finally got through my first gallon of gas.
i just pored in my new gas w/ the forum recommended gas/oil ratio.
drove it about two miles. slowed down to make a left turn.
the engine died. it won't start back up.
it doesn't seem to be seized i'm guessing because if i engage the clutch i here the engine pumping. a couple times it makes a pop sound.
i thought maybe the spark plug was fouled but it looked fine. i changed it anyway.
still no joy.

i'm sorry if i couldn't express myself properly. i just had to peddle it home 4 miles.
even w/ the clutch disengaged, it was hard to peddle & i walked about half of the way home. i'm wore out.
:-||

Swybud

Apr 24, 2019
I'm having issues with my bike as well I was riding it at stopped running I put a new coil magneto and spark plug and if check the wires and have disconnected the kill switch still no spark on my plug

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Sorry we missed your post and welcome to the forum. This is a very old thread so sometimes we overlook them. Tell us about what engine you have and what you've changed and we will try to help. You said you changed the coil, did you change the cdi also? If you haven't already done so remove the plug and connect it to the plug wire and lay it on the head and either spin the ear wheel or walk the bike to check for spark.