bgf 48/49cc kit?

GoldenMotor.com

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
I just finished my first build and I'm happy with the results and looking for an engine for my son. I see on ebay a kit from BGF and it looks like a slant head and the carb is different than mine and mounts right up to the head. The spec sheet they show for this engine also says it has nearly 1 more hp @ 2.5 compared to the 1.6 spec on the engine I already have-which is another story. Anyway does anyone have one of these kits from BGF?

The other story is the engine I currently have said to be a 49cc kit but upon installation I looked at the sticker on the side of the engine and it states that its displacement is 61cc? No where that I've seen have I heard mention of a 61cc. I've only read and seen the 48/49 and 66cc. Strange and I suppose I dont really care, it runs great and I'm addicted to mb's now

mekano

Nov 4, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
I have two 61/62 cc:s. They are not as common as the 48 and 66 cc.
I happen to have a 62 cc cylinder next to me here and it meassures around 44.7 mm diam inside.

Edit:
A check on the web gave me:
"49cc,60cc och 70cc:
Max. Effect(kw/rpm): 49cc:1.6/6000, 60cc:2/6000, 70cc:3,5/6500
bore and stroke: 40mmx39mm=49cc, 45mmx39mm=62cc, 47mmx39mm=70cc"

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Just a side note, one of the longest lasting engines I have had was a BGF. The forward mount failed due to my forcing it on to, to wide a down tube but it sat there for months b4 giving out. I had bought the kit because it was the cheapest at the time and was going to beat it to death just to see what they would take. I really did abuse it. Broke it in poorly and almost always ran her WOT. Think it might have just been luck, but I would buy from them again. Guessing 3 or 4K miles of hard abuse.

Very interesting that there are now 61/62cc's Wonder why? Seems retooling to make them would be added expense with out benefit to the producer. New manufacturer maybe?

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Yeah, I have the slant 49, but just finsihed the build TODAY and don't think I'll get it tested. It's only 50 degrees, even in Florida.

I'm wondering, mostly over whether it can handle the 34 tooth sprocket I put on the back.

I expect good results from the carburetion system though, because I just put the short alloy billet intake on my 66 cc cruiser, and moving the carb close to the head must be the reason for the significant improvement- it winds up at will now, even though I don't often get up to 2 stroking at open throttle (that one's got a 36 toother)

I've bought a number of things from BGF and they always get here quickly- a 32 I bought is a little wide, and will only take a 415 chain, while the 36 I got elsewhere is made from a narrow BMX sprocket.

After I get this Schwinn Traveler with the slant 49 going, and if it will pull the 34, I'm changing the back wheel of the cruiser to 27 x 1 1/4 too, and I'll probably be trying the 32 on that.

The slant 49 shipped with a nice offset 41 tooth sprocket I'll fall back on, if all else fails. I'm pretty big, but the bike has 1 1/4 tires and weighs less than 40 lbs.

Heres the bikes, the new billet intake on the 66, and my Peugeot PX10 I put a new rear derailleur on last night and have to test/adjust.

good luck with it

Attachments

Last edited:

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
I ordered the kit this morning so my son is really looking forward to it! I am looking forward to cruising with him. Took my first long ride today about 15 miles one way and the bike did great! What a blast cruising the canals here in Mesa Az, and i rode past at least 4 police cars today and didnt even get a second look! Thinking about a cruiser frame for the new engine. Thanks for the replies!

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
have two tanks down the new 49cc(41tooth) bgf on my sons bike now. Had to raise the needle clip two posistions but now is running great! He's a big boy, 225 of football player so I didnt expect it to get him moving as fast as mine will (61cc 44 tooth) but mine is 5-6mph faster. Might just be the power to weight ratio is off. I will try a 44 tooth sproket and see if that will let the engine get up to top rpms. Very little four stroking but sure did blow a lot of oil out the first few runs!