Cable end solder?

GoldenMotor.com

Srjeeper

Aug 15, 2009
NE Pa.
I'm wanting to solder the end of a new SS cable to keep it from fraying. What type solder is used?

I tried some electrical solder w/resin core and some plumbing solder, but neither would melt in. :-||

Any and all replies appreciated..............

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
I wouldn't use plumbing solder because you need acid flux and that wouldn't really be good wicking into the cable. Rosin core should work fine if your iron is getting hot enough. Heat the cable not the solder.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If you're certain your cable is stainless steel you will not get any solder to stick to it. Solder being essentially lead based will not take to stainless. There are materials out there but you'll need high heat and knowhow to get it to work. Go for the crimp-on method or replace the cable with steel, not stainless.
Tom

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Hmm, I just had a similar concern with my new cables - yet I didn't want to solder them as I may need to get them back out of the housing again so I just used some heat-shrink wire insulator on the ends :D

Those crimp-on cable ends suck tbh as the crimp itself makes the cable end "fan" o_O

Srjeeper

Aug 15, 2009
NE Pa.
The cable is for the clutch, so a crimp on end can't be used, as it won't pass thru the clutch arm. I'm using a small butaine torch to heat the cable red, but neither types of solder would melt in, they just rolled off.

I like the shrink tube idea for now, thanks all.....(^)

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
For making up new extra long throttle cables for my step through Americans I use silver soler with the appropriate flux. Works fine for me. I can then use a dremel tool to shape the end to the way I want it.
Silverbear

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Oh - it's easy to have a sense of humor in the AM online, I assure you I am less funny should you choose to stand between me and the coffee maker IRL o.o

see ya'll around - I'm off to work meh

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
I'm using a small butaine torch to heat the cable red, but neither types of solder would melt in, they just rolled off.
There ya go, you're getting the cable too hot. Heat a little, touch the solder to the cable, repeat until the solder melts in.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
There ya go, you're getting the cable too hot. Heat a little, touch the solder to the cable, repeat until the solder melts in.
Kevlarr is correct. The base metal, the part you're trying to apply solder to needs to be at about the same temperature as the melting point of the solder you're using. Too hot it will roll off, too cold it will not stick. I'll repeat, if your cable is stainless steel ordinary lead based solder will not stick to it no matter the temperature. Let me clairify a little here so I don't get arguments. There are many different grades of stainless steel. I don't have any idea what they use for bicycle cables but any stainless is either impossible or difficult to solder depending on the alloy. Yes, you can get a ball of lead solder to hang onto a stainless cable but there will be little to no adhesion. There is virtually no strength in the solder joint. If all you want is to keep the end of the strand tight you can solder or crimp on a short length of 3/32" brass tubing
As for passing the cable through the clutch arm; you can slightly spread the slot at the end so passing the end of the cable through that little hole is not necessary. If your cable tension is correct it will not come out even with the slot opened up a little. It makes putting the cable in and out very easy and eliminates the need to solder the end of the cable to keep it from fraying. I do solder mine but none of my cables are stainless.
Tom

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
If you're able to get the cable that hot get yourself some silver solder and paste flux. Silver solder will stick to just about anything (pretty sure stainless too) and is just shy of brazing for strength.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
i can't believe there's two pages (so far) dedicated to soldering the end of a clutch cable...

.weld
Bairdco,
What might come natural to you and me can be a mystery to a newcomer who has never soldered in his life. Soft as well as silver soldering is an acquired skill and learning those skills is what makes this hobby fun for a lot of guys. Be honest now, wouldn't you rather see some indepth technical answers than 35 pages of guys bragging about how fast they can go with a Chinese 2 stroker? :)
Tom

Last edited: