Long term storage

GoldenMotor.com

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
What is the proper way to long term store a 2 stroke engine? Should I drain the gas, then run the engine till it quits, then put it away? What about long term storage for a 4 stroke? Thanks

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've never stored a motorized bicycle 2 stroke engine but when I was into R/C planes we used to make sure all the fuel was out then put ATF, automatic transmission fluid, in the crankcase and cylinder if the engine was going to be unused for a lenght of time. The ATF would keep things lubricated and prevented corrosion and rust.

I would have to assume the same would work on a China Girl or a 4 stroker.

Tom

woogie_man

Aug 9, 2013
Fargo, ND
Would you fill the lower end with the atf? Or what?

Was just thinking about this question as well, so thanks op for asking. I know I don't be riding over the winter months, as 8-20' of snow would be hard to build through.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Would you fill the lower end with the atf? Or what?

Was just thinking about this question as well, so thanks op for asking. I know I don't be riding over the winter months, as 8-20' of snow would be hard to build through.
You don't need to "fill" it. Just dump in a few ounces and rotate the crank so it gets in the bearings and coats the engine case. Remove the spark plug, pour in a half ounce or so, rotate the crank so the ATF coats the cylinder, rings and piston.

Naturally you'll want to remember you did this when it comes time to put the engine back in service. You might need to flush things with a little gasoline and 2 stroke oil prior to firing the engine the first time after long storage and 'pickled' in ATF. Expect a little smoke until things clear up.

Tom