time to start building another

GoldenMotor.com

whitey

Mar 7, 2010
Western Australia
Today I got up bright and early and went to the local swap meet. Almost straight away I come across some guy selling 12 old stationary engines. I couldn't resist for the price ($30). I bought an old Tecumseh (I think 3.5 hp)
It fired up first pull and runs without any knocking or worrying sounds. I know that I am still in the middle of building my first boardtracker, but I would like something to do whist waiting for all the parts to arrive.

I have decided to go ahead and build something along the lines of a 1908 Indian boardtracker. It won't look very genuine, but I hope to get the general look.

I will be off to the tip on Tuesday to find an appropriate mountain bike frame

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
This should be an interesting project and the engine seems appropriate for a tribute Indian build. The price was certainly right. I like seeing different engines used and different approaches in the builds. 3.5 hsp should be plenty enough to make it scoot.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Your Tecumseh Indian was an actual historic figure. From Wikpedia...

"Tecumseh (March 1768 – October 5, 1813), also known as Tecumtha or Tekamthi, was a Native American leader of the Shawnee and a large tribal confederacy (known as Tecumseh's Confederacy) which opposed the United States during Tecumseh's War and the War of 1812. Tecumseh has become an icon and heroic figure in American Indian and Canadian history.
Tecumseh grew up in the Ohio country during the American Revolutionary War and the Northwest Indian War, where he was constantly exposed to warfare.[1] With Americans continuing to encroach on Indian territory after the British ceded the Ohio Valley to the new United States in 1783, the Shawnee moved further northwest. In 1808, they settled Prophetstown in present-day Indiana. With a vision of establishing an independent American Indian nation east of the Mississippi, Tecumseh worked to recruit additional tribes to the confederacy from the southern United States.[1]
During the War of 1812, Tecumseh's confederacy allied with the British in The Canadas and helped in the capture of Fort Detroit. Tecumseh was killed in the Battle of the Thames, in October 1813."
SB

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
Tecumseh+Indian=BTReplica I love it. That pic of the 1908 made me think an all straight tube, hard tail 700c bike with the fattest tires you can fit would be a great starting point.....even a cheapy department store one. Fab up a tank like the pic and you've have two of the biggest visual cues already sussed.

Good luck with the build Whitey.

MHF

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
I’m with motorhedfred, with a careful eye to proportions there’s no reason you couldn’t build a mighty fine and genuine looking ‘08 Indian BTR out of a older MB or roadie frame.

Last year I snagged a mid 1970’s Raleigh 10 speed frame for a something early looking project just like this ($5 at a garage sale).

It has the right lines and neat little old fashion details like scalloped lugs, and they’re common & inexpensive so you won’t have any vintage bike collectors giving you a hard time for chopping a classic.

Looking forward to see what you do with this!

-Kirk

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
Maybe I should grab up my old Bianchi Boardwalk cross-terrain that my oldest son's ready to throw out.

I've been thinking about ways to use a vertical shaft 4-stroke. Think about it for a moment....they're usually much cheaper, nice big round mounting flange, the oiling "issues" on the Predator horizontal shaft engines mounted at all angles prove don't have to sit the way they were designed, the exhaust would be facing forward, carb to the rear....you could probably straddle the bottom tube or maybe even put the output shaft below it.

Just more daydreaming....don't mind me.

MHF

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Thanks for the history, Silverbear. I knew Tecumseh was a Chief, but that was about it. Reminds me a bit of Hannibal, who perplexed the Romans at many times, in many different places and under many different battle standards.

whitey

Mar 7, 2010
Western Australia
wow there is a bit of history behind the Tecumseh name. Thankyou Silverbear. If I don't find a mountain bike with the appropriate dimensions. I already have 4 roadbike frames sitting in the backyard. One is close to the dimensions, but I would like to find a better fit

Robertriley

Apr 25, 2011
Southern California
Someone did one like this a while back and sold it on EBay. It loked pretty good. It looks to be a tough build. My may be able to find it in completed auctions if you need some ideas.

Good luck and keep us posted.

whitey

Mar 7, 2010
Western Australia
I don't know about it being tough. I chose this design because of how easy I thought it would be.

I am just going to get a piece of really large diameter tube, weld two caps on either end. Then make 2 fake cones for the tank.

axelkloehn

Sep 22, 2011
Germany
I don't know about it being tough. I chose this design because of how easy I thought it would be.

I am just going to get a piece of really large diameter tube, weld two caps on either end. Then make 2 fake cones for the tank.

...just an idea, get a little scuba tank which they use as a spare air reservoir while diving, you can simply add 2 cones at the round ends and don't have to deal with welding two caps. I do not know how good you are with welding but sometimes it is not easy with getting it fuel-proof. I did it with my tank and it worked out fine...

whitey

Mar 7, 2010
Western Australia
I like to think that I am a good welder. I can braze quite well and mig. But thats what I am limited to. I wish my school had a tig. I would love to try one out. I like the idea of a scuba tank. I would have never thought of that. I will go to the local diving store and see if they have any old ones laying around. Hopefully the diameter of them will not be too large or small. Thanks for the great idea!

I prefer to weld fuel tanks with fusion welding, that is really easy to clean up and is sort of like brazing so it ensures an air tight weld. But it will depend on the thickness of the metal

axelkloehn

Sep 22, 2011
Germany
I bought two scubas from ebay, one was 4 inch diameter and the other about 5 inch. I got them very cheap and used the 4" tank. They are quite heavy and thick material, and while adding the filler cap I realized it was quite rusted inside, but you can deal with that.

Good luck, Axel

Attachments

whitey

Mar 7, 2010
Western Australia
Everywhere I looked all the tanks are either too big or too expensive. I was not able to find any below $100 and I don't really want to spend anything

whitey

Mar 7, 2010
Western Australia
looks like I'm going to use an out of service fire extinguisher. They are dirt cheap and there are many different sizes available. I went to a recycling place today, but was not able to get one as the only extinguishers had not been completely emptied.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
looks like I'm going to use an out of service fire extinguisher. They are dirt cheap and there are many different sizes available. I went to a recycling place today, but was not able to get one as the only extinguishers had not been completely emptied.
There are also old ones made of brass and copper.
SB