the tale of the mythical grubee 4 stroke 12 volt system

GoldenMotor.com

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
kinda getting left field in here with design ideas and what not,the sole purpose i started this thread was to track down these engines that has it set up on so myself and others that want a full complete charging system without all the hassle. i know alot of us are and have to be DIY types in this area,but if this engine kit was available it would make it so much better.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
My bad biker. Really was just worried and wanting to offer thoughts fer yer safety or an alternative if it (HS w/ gen) could not be had.

(lol, "left field" , I get that a lot)

locutus_1

Oct 31, 2010
california
UPDATE: got the number for someone who sells 4 stroke Grubee kits who is listed as an authorized dealer in the US. he tells me they tryed a batch of them and it was robbing the engine of power and that made them no good to sell. however i tried to clarify that these newer engines had a separate generator in case there was confusion and i still dont think there was an understanding,just a potential sale for a normal kit.

according to the pictures and diagrams,the CDI/ignition system looks like its separate from the "generator system" if thats the case how is it robbing the engine of that much power? or to justify that these kits are that much of an issue.

is it just me or was this guy just trying to say he doesn't have any of these or at one time he did,but that he was trying to get a sale off me with what ever he has in stock?
the displacement is 53.4 cc not 49 so they made more cc so it could handle the extra load..

BE-tech

Sep 14, 2011
Bozeman
Hello all,

We have the 144F engines with the generator in stock. (144 designates generator type) They are tapered shaft. However all of our 142F motors are 5/8 shaft and we no longer carry the tapered shaft gearbox. If you have questions on the dimensions or anything else on the motors give us a call at 800-514-8435 and ask for me. Keep in mind these are two different motors. The 144F is 53.2cc and is rated at 1.5kW/6800rpm and 2.5Nm/4500rpm vs. the 142F which is 49cc and is rated at 1.2kW/6800rpm and 2.0Nm/4500rpm.

Hope this helps,
Rob @ Bicycle-Engines.com

Attachments

kallsop

May 2, 2009
CT US
For your lighting needs, have you considered a Shimano dynamo front wheel hub to charge/power rechargeable lights? Maybe there isn't a complete kit and it's part DIY? If I needed lights, that's what I would do rather than look for this hard to find 144F-1G that grubee says bolts up to their 4G tranny.

kallsop

May 2, 2009
CT US
dynamos tend to burn out from the speed motorbicycles are capable of ;)
If I were to build a hub dynamo based light system, it would have a dc-dc converter and the hub would not be overloaded. But I only use my bikes for fun and don't ride at night so it's very unlikely I'll put lights on my bike.

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
For your lighting needs, have you considered a Shimano dynamo front wheel hub to charge/power rechargeable lights? Maybe there isn't a complete kit and it's part DIY? If I needed lights, that's what I would do rather than look for this hard to find 144F-1G that grubee says bolts up to their 4G tranny.
I dont want to sound like a jerk,but every time this comes up i get frustrated. First off I have never found a bottle generator or dynamo hub that is going to put out the type of watts/amps for the lighting I need. Rechargeables dont last for the hours I ride at night or are not nearly as bright enough. The whole idea behind this thread was to find a dealer or vendor or someone who has access to this engine to put away all the DIY crappy lighting and battery systems.

This engine is readily available from 3 sources I have found in the last year. The main issue is trying to get a 4g or EZM because they have the tapered shaft. If this problem gets fixed,we get to use motorcycle or automotive lighting that doesn't drain a battery down,or have to be recharged,or have to run crappy lights that cant project a beam down the block. this engine will run almost 90 watts into a battery to be used for hi-draw lights without having to do anything more than run the engine.... as long as the engine has gas and its running (even at idle its charging),we got lights.

Sinistar

Dec 18, 2011
Memphis TN
Hello I have read through this thread and have seen all the points addressed for powering a light mainly off of a alt design off of the stator. I have a 49cc 142F 4G the PIRATECYCLES 4 stroke kit. I wouldn't really like the idea of having to purchase a whole new motor just to run a headlight which I would love to have and I could actually go out at night here in Memphis TN with the crazy drivers we have and be more prominently visible. I found some really great dynamo hubs that are available in different types lots of different models watts etc. and with disc rotor mounting ability they are called SON hubs

Check out www.peterwhitecycles.com

Hope this may help anyone that needs a light.

CroMagnum

Sep 2, 2011
Los Angeles
i wish that they were straight shaft motors, i wonder if it would be possible to swap in a straight shaft crank into one.

I wonder how much taper the crank shaft has. To do the 4G T drive bearing conversion you need to turn the stock crank down from 15mm to 13mm. If this tapered crank can be turned down to 13mm then you're in business. A bearing-mounted belt drive with charging system would be a nice setup.

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
MotorBicycleRacing and I were talking on the phone a week ago about possibly making a Frankenstein motor out of one.

Take the genny motor case half with the cylinder in it (has a larger bore) and piston, and put a GXH50 crank and rod (rod has 0.2MM more stroke) and a GXH50 case side on it. Eliminate the genny part, replacing it with the Honda flywheel and cover. Get an AGK Honda cam and aftermarket carb.

Bam, you now theoretically have at least 3HP out of it. 4HP could be had if the compression could be raised to 9-9.5:1 instead of the piddly 7.5:1 in the HS and the 8:1 in the GXH50. But that would require offset grinding the crank, a custom conrod, or a custom piston.

I'd like to know if such a Frankenstein could be done. But in the end, it would be expensive, costing more than 2 Predator motors rotfl

Still, I think a Hondasheng (Huanda?) would be cool :D
I would like the genny but i cant stand taper shaft set ups, plus my straight shaft 4g wouldnt fit a taper shaft motor. And the think the proper term for the HS Honda hybrid motor would be a Chonda, (Chinese Honda)