HF 98cc Predator a nice alternative to the 99cc

GoldenMotor.com

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I hear no talk of anyone using the HF 98cc Predator, might I be the first? Very similar specs to the 99cc slant cyl. except this one stands straight up as it is the clone of the Honda GX100. A tad cheaper than the 99cc as well......

dnut

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
This pretty much confirms what I suspected that Lifan was making the HF engines. I have 4 of these, 3are on FDs and one on an all belt drive. They are excellent engines, I have one with over 1K mi with out a single issue, I just put one on my recumbent build in DIY. Mine are 97cc, and the manual also lists a 105cc, maybe the 99cc is the newest version Sorry about the small pic.

Attachments

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
This pretty much confirms what I suspected that Lifan was making the HF engines. I have 4 of these, 3are on FDs and one on an all belt drive. They are excellent engines, I have one with over 1K mi with out a single issue, I just put one on my recumbent build in DIY. Mine are 97cc, and the manual also lists a 105cc, maybe the 99cc is the newest version Sorry about the small pic.
These are 98cc Predators used by Harbor Freight and are not made by Lifan. The manual lists it as 98cc (52 mm x 46 mm) and it does look very similar to the Lifan.

dnut

Last edited:

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
How'd you get a hold of one in CA, can you just order the water pump?
Hows the quality of the motor mounts that are used on these. I may just make my own.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Home Depot had these, they were $109 shipped. They were black which was cool but, the crank was 15+mm instead of 5/8, didnt matter to me as I used it in a FD. The blue engines are 5/8x2.25 or so on the crank. I paid $105 for the one I got Wed. and it was hard to find at that price. These fit in frame beautifully.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Scotto, what is the width with out the covers or shaft? From where the shaft leaves the case on either side.

Looking for the largest engine I can find that with the shaft cut down, will fit between regular cranks.

Thanks for posting. Had not seen the 98cc.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Scotto, what is the width with out the covers or shaft? From where the shaft leaves the case on either side.

Looking for the largest engine I can find that with the shaft cut down, will fit between regular cranks.

Thanks for posting. Had not seen the 98cc.
Hey Dan, not sure but it's prolly much the same as the Lifan 2.5hp. And I was wrong about this being a clone of the Honda GX100, although very similar in specs, this is a flathead like a Briggs and a rather low compression engine of 5.6:1. Still would make for a nice powered bicycle ;)

dnut

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
All of the 4 strokes with pulley, not cent clutch, and 2 and 4stroke pocket/kit engine/drives or clutches,,cept for HT's, are all about 10" in total width from recoil starter to drive pulley/sprocket.
My Predator measures 9 1/4/" total. Could be reduced by about 1 3/4" if you can remove the recoil and rig for bump start, on all the above.
This is all I know about various engines that I have dealt with.

Last edited:

kevinkrg6

Jun 3, 2011
ohio
This sounds like an awesome project. I'm really curious though:

How will you mount it?
How fast do you think it will go?
What chain are you gonna use?
How are you gonna deal with the Fuzz? O.O

Make sure to post pics of the finished bike!

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
This sounds like an awesome project. I'm really curious though:

How will you mount it?
How fast do you think it will go?
What chain are you gonna use?
How are you gonna deal with the Fuzz? O.O

Make sure to post pics of the finished bike!
I will mount it on a mounting plate that clamps to the frame, like all my other
4-strokes.
It will go fast enough.....cruise at 35mph.
#41 chain
The fuzz will have to run me over if they want to deal with me, lol.

I always post to many pics of my finished bikes....

dnut

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Has anybody just tried ordering one o these right from HF website and having it shipped to Cali? Its currently saying they are backordered.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Has anybody just tried ordering one o these right from HF website and having it shipped to Cali? Its currently saying they are backordered.
They are saying this about the 212cc for Cali. (they're on backorder) when I saw about 30-40 of them on the shelves of a local HF. They really need to update their website more often.

dnut

kevinkrg6

Jun 3, 2011
ohio
I will mount it on a mounting plate that clamps to the frame, like all my other
4-strokes.
It will go fast enough.....cruise at 35mph.
#41 chain
The fuzz will have to run me over if they want to deal with me, lol.

I always post to many pics of my finished bikes....

dnut
Man, I was hoping it would go at least 50 :(
It's twice the displacement of a standard MB kit!
Oh well.

That 212cc sounds enticing :D

Best of Luck!