High performance Intake Manifold

GoldenMotor.com

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Doesn't the CNS racing carb have an intakeport larger than stock and then needs to be adapted?

(I don't know cause I don't have- but that's what I read)

Are you planning one that fits that larger opening w/out adapter?

although I slightly reamed the Creative billet intake, it seems that the close proximity of the carb to the motor may be the biggest factor in performance increase-

but your intakes with the slant configuration should surely help frame clearance with a CNS racing carb- it would seem best if it could match w/out the adapter.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Doesn't the CNS racing carb have an intakeport larger than stock and then needs to be adapted?
Interesting question. The I.D. of the CNS carb is designed for an approximate .64" I.D. manifold. The stock kit manifolds are either steel or aluminum, both with a .74" O.D. My measurements showed that the stock steel manifolds had a larger I.D. than the aluminum ones. If you measure the plastic adapter in a CNS carb you will find that it has a 3/4" I.D. and a 1" O.D. This leads me to believe that the CNS is designed to run without an adapter on a heavy wall aluminum manifold with a 1" O.D. and a .64" I.D. Hope this explanation makes sense. I had considered removing the plastic adapter and using 1" tubing, but then the I.D. was way too large. I also looked at removing the bushing and machining an adapter to adapt down to the 3/4" tube. The machined part was too expensive for this application and then the manifold would not work on the NT style carbs. So I made a manifold that works correctly for both applications, the NT and CNS.

yamahonkawazuki

Mar 17, 2010
Clinton Tn
i just finished my build. i DO want one of these. HOWEVRE, i need to get a set of road tires first, a headlight, and above all, a helmet. ill see what i can do though. the demo pic , that engine looks ALOT like mine. so i forsee no problem fitting it

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
I just received my intake and must say fit and finish is RIGHT ON......
What a sweet peice... I`ll let y`all know about perf. when it is installed.....
Thanks for the excellant service and customer relations....
Paul....

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
I just got back from a ride after tuning in my motor for this intake and it really is a nice peice....Nothing like a STEEL intake instead of alum.....I`ve had the alum. ones break on me right there at the bend, vibration I guess.....
Thanks....

broHSI

Jul 27, 2009
USA, CA
I just got back from a ride after tuning in my motor for this intake and it really is a nice peice....Nothing like a STEEL intake instead of alum.....I`ve had the alum. ones break on me right there at the bend, vibration I guess.....
Thanks....
OK, you rode it, how about a performance review....

We got that it looks great and will not break and i have never seen
a broken cast aluminum intake out of over 100 kits. Only one broken in shipping.

So, does it run any better with the stainless intake?
thanks

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
OK, you rode it, how about a performance review....

We got that it looks great and will not break and i have never seen
a broken cast aluminum intake out of over 100 kits. Only one broken in shipping.

So, does it run any better with the stainless intake?
thanks
Ya sure, it runs great...But might not for you....Unless you have the same exact setup as I do.....My exchange ports and int. and exh. ports are matched and ported, my cyl. head has been milled some and polished, a Supertrapp exh. muffler,better intake manifold.....Don`t know if you order one if it would work as good for your setup or not, JMO.....

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Hi guys,
I have been using my manifolds on CNS and NT carb equipped engines. Cylinder porting is NOT necessary to make my manifold work. I ran one manifold with a ground open exhaust flange, the next couple with my full port weld on exhaust flange. So far I have not had to "re-tune" the engine for the manifold. It was a bolt on and go modification. I would agree that to realize the potential of any intake (mine included) the exhaust should also receive attention, but my intake manifold will fit in the stock location and will flow better than stock and that will help. I started with the exhaust first on my builds and then moved to improve the intake. I can include a full port exhaust flange for a couple extra bucks. You can use this flange as a guide to grind out (port) your existing exhaust flange. Bolt the new flange to the old as a guide and grind away, or better yet cut off the old exhaust flange and weld my version on. You will quickly find, though, the limits of how far you can port by the size of the pipe that is welded to the flange. I will try to post some pictures of typical exhaust port flanges. It's pretty funny when you see the difference.

Last edited:

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
Hi guys,
I have been using my manifolds on CNS and NT carb equipped engines. Cylinder porting is NOT necessary to make my manifold work. I ran one manifold with a ground open exhaust flange, the next couple with my full port weld on exhaust flange. So far I have not had to "re-tune" the engine for the manifold. It was a bolt on and go modification. I would agree that to realize the potential of any intake (mine included) the exhaust should also receive attention, but my intake manifold will fit in the stock location and will flow better than stock and that will help. I started with the exhaust first on my builds and then moved to improve the intake. I can include a full port exhaust flange for a couple extra bucks. You can use this flange as a guide to grind out (port) your existing exhaust flange. Bolt the new flange to the old as a guide and grind away, or better yet cut off the old exhaust flange and weld my version on. You will quickly find, though, the limits of how far you can port by the size of the pipe that is welded to the flange. I will try to post some pictures of typical exhaust port flanges. It's pretty funny when you see the difference.
Ya, I held up that exh. flange to my port and saw how much more I could potentially go out to....That`s my next project....

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Haha, pat. you're the go-to guy for everything 'custom' or 'tweaked' I admire that.
And more stuff on the way! Here is that picture I mentioned comparing the stock exhaust flange to a flange that matches the 80 cc cylinder. Port the intake and exhaust and it really opens these engines up. The exhaust flange is 10 gauge laser cut stainless and adds $5 to a manifold order.

Last edited:

ballermj23

Dec 3, 2009
San Fernando Valley, California
nice looking intake.

i want to buy one, but i dont have enogt space to even put the oem intake on mine.

would you be able to make it a little bend to i can put your intake and big air filter?

if so i want to get one.

thanks!

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
It's a time and money thing on the different configurations of manifolds. I am just getting started here on these. I will produce a carb side mount version at some point but am already pretty busy. My plan will be to build one side mount design and not custom versions per each request. That way if space is limited then the turned out version would be available.

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
It's a time and money thing on the different configurations of manifolds. I am just getting started here on these. I will produce a carb side mount version at some point but am already pretty busy. My plan will be to build one side mount design and not custom versions per each request. That way if space is limited then the turned out version would be available.
Understandable.....Just enough turnout to miss that blasted seat post,lol......

skjjoe

Mar 9, 2009
Boerne Texas
if you build the side mount id buy one today. or yesterday. or last month. Personally I think it would probably be a bigger seller. More of a need thing, than a want thing.
Maybe I just want one really bad.:rolleyes:

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
if you build the side mount id buy one today. or yesterday. or last month. Personally I think it would probably be a bigger seller. More of a need thing, than a want thing.
I`m all in on that one for sure...I`m almost tempted to cut and weld the the one I just got but It just looks/works too good right now....It would just be nice to not have to fiddle with the air cleaner screws around the post all the time.....
We`ll be very patient Pat,lol......dance1

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
I hear what you guys are saying. Looks like the next batch will be the "Sidewinder" version. The current design is a good enough seller that I may improve the tooling a bit and get a better saw. Deburring after cutting with a chop saw is a real pain in the, well you know. Just need to finish all the gas tanks and tool boxes for the Worksman project.