Push Trailer in the works

GoldenMotor.com

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
I bought a used mini bike and an old snowblower with a Honda engine. It looks to me that the motor is not the right kind or else it needs to have a jackshaft. I don't seem to remember these mini bikes having jackshafts but it has been many years, I could be wrong.
The three Trailer pics may show this. I'm just wondering if I should just go with it as it is. I have a new clutch and chain and was intending to take the front forks off for the push trailer.
The other pic is a fresh find, I pulled her home on my bike and it turns over so I may get lucky-another engine! It even has electric start that works by plugging it into your homes power.
I've got about two hundred into it so it seems like a cheap build.

Attachments

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
I had once mapped out this trailer for mounting an engine into. I borrowed from a trike
I once worked on. The square with the X is where the motor would mount and the
horizontal crank would have a centrifugal clutch with chain to drive the large sprocket
on a counter shaft (in red). At both ends of the shaft smaller drive sprockets would
be mounted and have smaller lengths of chain to connect them to the wheel axle sprockets.
(much like a trike)

The counter shaft would be mounted in pillow blocks attached under the frame. The throttle
for the motor would be a long length of cable with a lever like a derailer control which would
mount to the frame. (so it could be quickly removed and plastic clips would hold the cable
to the frame so they too could be quickly removed) It would make it easier to uncouple the
trailer. The connection with the bike would be made just under the seat for the center of
effort.

Attachments

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Yeah, there ya go ! What I like about it is that with a 50cc 1 hp motor, it could be legal
here in Ohio. It could be a good grocery getter and when uncoupled from the bike the bike
would be simply a bicycle. With a rechargable battery on the motor trailer it could power a
good headlight, tail/brake light and turn signals and be rather well legal.

I'm not sure if Ohio states that there has to be one wheel behind the other in tandem or one
in the front and two behind. (whether side by side or one behind the other) There are just so
many laws for these little things to have to conform to.

But that's an interesting use of an ol' mini-bike. An I bet any any dog that would chase after
ya wouldn't know where to snap at !

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Glad you popped in eDJ, I was wondering how I'd get these pics to you. I'm sure you will know what they are.
As for the bike above, I'm wondering if snow blower motors are custom built. The clutch side is on the centre line of the bike. The right side is out as far as the footpeg. Will this make it want to lean to the right? I don't like the looks of it. I should have a look at the other motor in the smaller snow blower.

Attachments

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Oh yeah, I didn't get the muffler and mounting bracket with my motor. I had to
fabricate it and came up with what I thought was a rather simple and inexpensive
solution.

Photo below.

1) silicone heat tubing to link muffler head pipe to exhaust port of motor 2) soft copper
tubing to form so it aligned with engine exhaust 3) brass laundry hose bib fitting with
threads for muffler and bore to fit and solder copper tubing into 4) Stanley 6X6 angle
bracket with hole bored out large enough in angle to fit over bicycle's axle. The upper
part of angle bent outward one inch at 90 degrees and drilled to accept motor's adjustment rod 5) lawn mower muffler. Works fine too.

As for your motors from the snowmobile, this is always going to be a problem and moving the motor
upwards to clear the pedals will likely be a reality. Thre are some pedal cranks where one pedal
crank or even both have to have an S bend in them or a special WIDE width pedal crank has
to be used to clear the width of the motor. Yeah, I know having an engine hanging off to one side
isn't very cool and at low speeds could be a balance problem. Once you are running though, the
gyro effect of the wheels will help overcome some of the out of balance characteristics of the
bike.

As for the fuel tank for your Bikebug.....a simple aluminum campers canteen may be a cheap
solution. With aluminum solder you could bend a piece of small aluminum strip to fit up to your
motor's frame with holes drilled where you could bolt it on. Then a smaller piece bent like a garage door handle to solder to the back of the canteen and drilled so it can bolt up to the
first aluminum strip. It would probably look like the original if set up this way. All you would have to do then is solder a 1/4 inch piece of copper tube toward the top of the tank for a nipple and a
piece of 1/8 brass tube closer to the bottom ( but up about 1 inch from the bottom of the canteen
so it won't pick up any dirt in the fuel as there will be no filter in the tank. You'll just have to take the tank off from time to time and empty it and rinse it out with a little gasoline before bolting it
back on and connecting the lines to the carb)

See second drawing and photos of an old boy scout canteen it's based on:

Attachments

Last edited: