Has anyone created their own mount kit?

GoldenMotor.com

gera229

Sep 4, 2011
USA
I plan on buying just an engine without a mount kit and would like to hear from anyone who made their own mount kit that is chain drive.

Reason I want to do this is because buying a mount kit separately is very costly.

I will need to buy a few engine parts still such as throttle, gas tank, etc.

But aside from that I need to build a mount kit.
Those who built their own mount kits can you tell me how much you spent on all the parts to build it? Is there any way to build one without welding (I don't have a welder)?

Also don't forget to give me tips. I don't have my engine yet and am asking this question prior to making my decision.

I plan on getting a pocket bike engine with the stage 2 kit on it. The Dax GT50R.
Don't want a mount kit from Dax because they are too costly for me.

Also what kind of rear sprockets will I need to be able to use the chain and to be able to pull it with the engine.
(Dax help with this if you read this)

Would I need to mess with any gearing ratios to keep it reliable? Like you know 5:1 ratio used, etc.? (Idk what that is, but that's what I read)
Thanks.

Last edited:

gera229

Sep 4, 2011
USA
That link you provided me with has not enough material for me to build it. And if I buy parts separately it will end up costing me more than if I buy the kit altogether. If I build a custom one I think it's the way to go.

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
well,thats a pretty rare request so any privately made kits will be unlikely. the dax engine is a friction drive engine by default. and btw, why get a dax friction motor and convert it when you can get an engine already set up for chains?, and in your thread you say you do not want to get a kit for the cost, but that you'll piece it together. gas tank, throttle, etc... well, the kits really dont come with all that much more, and a la carte is always more expensive. in the end, you're probably just gonna have to buy the engine, mock it up, and go metal shopping. and it'll be more than just taking it to a shop. perhaps try a more popular chain driven engine like a grubee? and get a shifterkit from sbc for speed

gera229

Sep 4, 2011
USA
Dogtown, a lot of people on this forum have made their own engine mounting kits. You are a new member here so I suggest you read through this forum before commenting about things you are unsure about.

And no, I made my decision to be the Stage 2 engine because it seems to be of slightly higher quality than the rest of the 2-stroke engines that are made in China.

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
well if that's the case, sounds like youve got it handled. thank you for your fantastic suggestion. good luck to you

Last edited by a moderator:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Dogtown, a lot of people on this forum have made their own engine mounting kits. You are a new member here so I suggest you read through this forum before commenting about things you are unsure about.

And no, I made my decision to be the Stage 2 engine because it seems to be of slightly higher quality than the rest of the 2-stroke engines that are made in China.
When a man offers an answer to your question and you don't agree with his advice, it would be much better to just ignore it.
This sort of reply is disrespectful and won't be tolerated here.

gera229

Sep 4, 2011
USA
2door, I gave him a suggestion in a non aggressive way. So I did not mean to put him down or disrespect him.
Otherwise yeah next time I will ignore it.