250cc Rugged Mountain Bike Build (street legal)

GoldenMotor.com

macb6497

Jul 29, 2012
here
Hello everyone,

I wanted to start this post because I planned on starting this awesome project where I'm going to build a 250cc, 4-stroke, street legal mountain bike. I already have a mongoose, which would have been most of the cost, that will be used as the frame.

I'm currently in the registration and certification process, which I will pass for sure :), but will be able to simultaneously work on the bike itself.

I not building from scratch as most of the parts will be assembled: frame, engine + transmission, etc. It mostly going to be bolting, welding, and positioning on my part; bolting on intake and exhaust, hooking up radiator if water cooled, fuel lines and brake lines, the easy stuff.

The whole purpose is to build the ultimate street and off-road mountain bike/motorcycle anyone has ever seen. This is a daring, but completely obtainable, project that will be documented and broadcasted on youtube, facebook, ustream, and my personal website for all the enthusiasts out there to see.

From start to finish, frame to cold start, viewers would watch as a seemingly limited mountain bike is transformed into a rugged, off-road capable, street legal, 250cc, 4-stroke, super/ultra octane fueled, dual-suspension, tactical, all-purpose bike!

I know there are a lot of the kilowatt electric bikes out there that even corporations are starting to pick up on via grants, some of which I heard can it 115mph?!

I wanted to do this because it will be very fuel-efficient since the engine will be single cylinder and 4-stroke. It will have a multi-gear transmission so that it can go faster and still be efficient.

I also think this project will do very well because people don't always get to see in-depth videos of some of the awesome projects people take part in. Not everyone gets to see how a car is built from start to finish, has a server is set up, how the "K" supercomputer was built, etc. So, that's why I plan to document.

What thoughts and suggestions would you all have about this project and being able to see it from frame to cold start?

Now that I think about it, I might buy a Mongoose Status frame.

Thanks,

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I wanted to start this post because I planned on starting this awesome project where I'm going to build a 250cc, 4-stroke, street legal mountain bike. I already have a mongoose, which would have been most of the cost, that will be used as the frame.

I'm currently in the registration and certification process, which I will pass for sure :), but will be able to simultaneously work on the bike itself.
Where is "here" that you think you will get a 250 cc powered bicycle street legal?

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
I had one back in the 80's it was a Yamaha Enduro 250cc would leave most cars behind at a red light but not much top end. It was a blast to ride.

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley