Need HELP! Can't get 12 gauge spokes anywhere.

GoldenMotor.com

carcrafter22

Nov 16, 2012
Burleson
I'm trying to get a drum or disc brake hub installed on my felt fat tire bike. The wheel uses 12 ga spokes and I want to keep them as well as keep the whole setup black.

I've called 15 local bicycle shops 5 motorcycle shops and they all act like I'm crazy. Bike shops refuse to listen when I say 12ga (according to them 14ga is plenty. Haha yeah right!) and motorcycle shops stop me when I say bicycle.

I've tried contacting pirate cycles with no luck there for one of their complete wheels, felt only has email (which is rediculous, they should at least have a customer service number.) I'm currently waiting on a local dealer to see if they can get a complete front wheel and brake assembly for a felt Shelby cruiser but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Can anyone point me towards a place that can lace a disc or drum brake into my original felt wheel using black 12ga spokes?

Thanks
Randy

carcrafter22

Nov 16, 2012
Burleson
Could go into more detail about this? All the local bike shops say they don't work with 12 gauge spokes and want me to go to 14 gauge. I thought they had to have a machine to cut the spokes to length.

Are wheel hubs a pretty standard dimension? I guess I will see if I can find a disc hub the same dimensions as my regular hub and go from there.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Use the Felt spokes... They'll be a little long but should still work fine. You'll need to grind the tips off (so they don't puncture the tube) after the wheel's trued.

carcrafter22

Nov 16, 2012
Burleson
Venice Motor Bikes got me all sorted out (thanks again by the way VMB), thanks for all the help everyone. Looks like a stormy archer 70mm will work with the stock spokes.