LF's Buggy Bike got a CVT today!!

GoldenMotor.com
Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
I'm still giggling here and it's not even fully installed yet!
I got this CVT for my birthday still not here till May but it's here now.
I used this guy:
Fancy Scooter: Gas Scooters and Electric Scooters Retail and Wholesale
I couldn't use Pay Pal there's a glitch in his site when you register but it came Fed Ex within 2 days.
Check out the pics below and the video.
The 10 tooth sprocket the Titan kit comes with is a bolt on. The mounting bolts and the clutch bell it's all a bolt on,man.
I do want to say I'll leave Cronus alone for to me it's plenty fast but I could rather easily put one on Cronus too!
I'm really mixed up here as to what wheel to put on. This CVT has A LOT of drag.
A freewheel would really make this shine.
But my other option is a fixed sprocket but I gain a front drum brake.
I'll figure it out.
I'm so excited I think I'm gonna start tearing it down so I can flip the carrier.
So for all you speed junkies out there,here's a tranny for the Titan kit.
But I'm thinking you're really gonna need a freewheel.
More to come when it's all put together!

YouTube - Buggy bike CVT Titan initial install

2nd pic shows that this tranny isn't really that big by looking at my hand or something.
3rd pic shows the Titan sprocket. the c clip wouldn't go on but that sprocket has a tightening nut.

Attachments

Last edited:

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Lf, You Will Like The Cvt. The Free Wheel Is Worth The Trouble. Use A Rear Wheel With The Cassette Off And Just Screw Your Free Wheel Adapter On. The Rear Hubs Are Not Much Wider. The Sprocket Will Need A 2 1/8" Center Hole. You Can Drill Holes If You Need In Your Sprocket. Later Buddy Ron PS, I just looked at your vid, that coaster should work. congrates

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
Okay so I ran into a little glitch.

Picture 1 shows the sprocket alignment that's cool though because I can just flip that huge sprocket
around and it will line up but with the engine all the way up it the chain won't clear the housing.
I want to retain the 3 speed for now so I can choose what permanent gearing I want to go. This is the early Titan aluminum carrier.

Picture 2 shows the current Chrome Titan carrier I had laying around. Sorry it's a little dirty. OH LOOKY HERE!! Extra mounting holes!! With this I can have the sprockets almost vertical of each other!!

Wife is the boss of the house. My host home guy is on a home visit but it's cold out anyway.
She wants us to go see family today.

So that's all for now.

I'm excited.

Attachments

Youngbird

Vendor
Dec 2, 2008
Longneck, DE
Thanks to a couple of quick PMs to LF....I ordered my CVT last night. I decided to try it in lieu of the Comet TAV. With this one I wont need to sleeve the output shaft on the Titan up to 3/4". Im looking forward to this new direction. I think the results will be worth all the figuring and debating..trk

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
Lf, Here Is Some Pics Of My Build, It May Give You Some Ideas. Ron
I thought about mounting it that way and possibly doing away with the jack shaft but the jack shaft in
my bike is important for gearing and alignment.
I think I have it all worked out though. Tonight I gotta do some computer work then early tomorrow
if it all works out,I RIDE!!!

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Spad4me, I Used A Cheapo $8. Free Wheel From Ebay . Sprocket Needs 2 1/8" Center Hole. I Have 8 Mm Chain. 17 Tooth Sprocket On The Trans And 72 On The Rear Wheel. Gives Me Around 27:1 Starting Ratio. The Info I Have Is That The Belts Start At 1.7: Ratio X The Gear Box Ratio Of 3.75:1 = 6.375:1 Times 72 Wheel Sprocket Divided By 17 Tranny Sprocket Is 4.235 =26.99:1 Starting Ratio. When The Belt Ratio Reverse`s I Have Not Figured It Out = Need Help Here. I Guessed About 12:1 In High Gear. It Cruises At 28 Mph With The 49cc, Now I Have The 52cc Big Bore Kit And Have Not Checked It With Pickup. It Should Be Faster. The Free Wheel is well worth the trouble. You won`t regret a free wheel. Ron

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
Spad4me, I Used A Cheapo $8. Free Wheel From Ebay . Sprocket Needs 2 1/8" Center Hole. I Have 8 Mm Chain. 17 Tooth Sprocket On The Trans And 72 On The Rear Wheel. Gives Me Around 27:1 Starting Ratio. The Info I Have Is That The Belts Start At 1.7: Ratio X The Gear Box Ratio Of 3.75:1 = 6.375:1 Times 72 Wheel Sprocket Divided By 17 Tranny Sprocket Is 4.235 =26.99:1 Starting Ratio. When The Belt Ratio Reverse`s I Have Not Figured It Out = Need Help Here. I Guessed About 12:1 In High Gear. It Cruises At 28 Mph With The 49cc, Now I Have The 52cc Big Bore Kit And Have Not Checked It With Pickup. It Should Be Faster. The Free Wheel is well worth the trouble. You won`t regret a free wheel. Ron
DUH!!!
I found the parts ++++++ Scooter parts+++++++
Not bicycle parts.
Price difference is stunning.

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
Some developments. Sorry my daughter has my card reader so I can't transfer my pics tonight.
I pulled the 3 speed because my 20 tooth jackshaft sprocket is proving too much for this thing and slips way too often to be reliable so I put back my 5 speed cluster wheel with a 15 tooth on the jack shaft.
I also found out that you can adjust these things to shift at a lower RPM which I'm finding out it's needed on my trike.
I'll do a riding video tomorrow if it all works out. Today that spring was so tight it stayed on the 7 to 1 ratio and the belt never shifted. Hopefully loosening up that spring a bit will help.
I'll post pics too on the adjustments. It's rather easy but you need a really thin wrench to do this right.

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
Man the tinkering just never seems to stop. The 3 speed set up was rather okay except that I was slowly losing 2nd gear and my huge sprocket was slipping too much so naturally I have to find another way.
Well this go around I think I got it.
This CVT I rather have to get used to it because it loves rpm so I gotta keep the engine spinning.
But it's eerie because when you set the rpm's to get you going you just hold it right there to allow
the bike to catch up. It just accelerates while the engine stays at the rpm your throttle dictated
to it..yea.
So there was this slight downward slope I didn't video it and I gunned it. It still wanted more
I was absolutely flying it must have been close to 40 mph.
So to lessen the loads on this tranny I'm gonna do just one more mod and that's to change the 15 tooth on the jackshaft to a 16 tooth.
This go around there's far less stresses on the jackshaft sprocket from slipping because the wheel
has a larger sprocket than that tiny 19 tooth on the 3 speed. And that really makes a difference.
Here's my riding video from today.
Oh and that Bang Bang noise you hear when I slow down? That's my coaster hitting my bed in back.
It's rather fixable but seeing that's my only brake this trike is rather dangerous right now.
I really need to do a front brake.
And maybe a ram air... and route that exhaust... some paint maybe...

YouTube - First Ride Video Titan Front Wheel Drive Buggy Bike with CVT mod

Attachments

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
More developments! Thanks to loquin at the other site it's been determined that my gearing is
too high because it doesn't hit top gear until I'm at 35 mph down an incline.
So to lower it I went back to my original Worksman wheel with a DRUM BRAKE YAY and my 36T
bicycle crank sprocket bolted on. To fix the wiggling the local muffler shop did it up for 10 bucks.
So here it is on the trike.
Notice the DRUM BRAKE YAY!
And that the sprocket is on the other side.
No worries just slide the jack shaft sprocket over.
I'll let you guys know if the 15T did the trick.
The 36T sprocket for a 20 inch wheel is equivalent to a 44T on a 26" wheel.
So you say,"Well Large! You don't have no freewheel no more!"
HA!
But look at what's coming in the mail!
Motorized Bicycles Detail Page
Once I decide if the 15T is right or if I need a 14T or a 16T or even a 17T the bike shop should have a BMX sprocket for me.
A 15mm is only slightly larger than a 1/2 inch.
All of us I'm sure have used a 15mm socket to a 1/2 inch nut before.
And with the tightening bolts across from each other there should be no fitment problems.

Attachments

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
My wheel sprocket is getting a bit out of round. I'm gonna need to pull it out and play with the washers to get it more straight. Then that 15mm adapter when I needed to grind down the adapter for the 1/2 inch shaft it's not perfect so I'll need to rethink that. I'm thinking I can probably cut up a coke can it only needs about 2mm of spacing.
I got a 16t freewheel.
So it's just a matter of time.
I honestly haven't been working on her. Been riding Cronus every day.
Hopefully I'll have it by weeks end.
But I do have now I believe what it takes to mod a Titan kit to a CVT freewheel.
So here's the parts list:
Titan Kit
CVT tranny
Stanton freewheel adapter get a 5/8 not the 15mm
5/8 to 1/2 adapter sleeve
16t freewheel sprocket should run nice with the 44t on a 26inch wheel.

I'll know more when it's all there.
I'm seriously thinking about converting Cronus just to see what sprocket will work.
It would mean flipping my engine plate and switching that 48T on my wheel to a 44t
But my guess is that a 16t should be spot on.

I hate to mod something that does rather nice for me already though
Which is why I just want to build another bike with another Titan kit.

I can do this once my daughter's car is payed off in a few months.