aligning rear wheel . . .HOW?

GoldenMotor.com

Kygaga

Mar 31, 2010
San Bernardino, Ca.
I have read and read and re-read through this forum, and tho I know I've SEEN the info, I have NO idea in which threads I have seen what I now need to know. Wheel alignment . . . seems it SHOULD be simple . . . put the wheel on and "there you go"! But NOT for us! Last wheel we had, the front edge of it leaned into the chain. I was given by many of you what I KNOW was EXCELLENT advice, but I did NOT completely understand, and my guy got disgusted and bought a new rim. (on that new rim he could see what I tried to explain (ONLY because I "heard" it here) about the coaster break kick-back being caused by the rounding-out of the break connector (there's probably a "real" name for it) So NEW wheel aquired, he mounts it. NOW the WHOLE WHEEL sits VERY close to the fork on the chain side rather than CENTERED between the forks. It is verticly alligned, but WAY off center! ABSOLUTE BEWILDERMENT!!! What could we have done wrong to have the wheel sitting so misalligned??? I KNOW you've addressed this subject over and over guys, cause I've read it over and over. But could I ask you to explain it all ONE more time? (Too bad there isn't an index for these threads!) SORRY to be a "neusance", but we are REALLY stumped!! laff LOOKS like laughing, but it's CRYING in frustration!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
If you mean aligning the wheel so it runs straight in the frame, that's easy- have someone help you (or use two wedges of wood if you have no helper) and just center it between the two parts of the frame that hold the wheel on, known as 'chainstays'.

If you are talking about "truing the wheel" so it's not wobbly, that is a best left up to someone who knopws what they are doing unless you want to get a spare wheel and practice. It can be mastered in a few sessions, but be ready to totally mess up the wheel at first.
Google "wheel truing".

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
most wheels are built "dished" which means the rim is off center to the left. Someone who knows how to build a wheel can adjust it for you so the rim is center or even a little to the right so you have more clearance for the engine chain not to rub the tire. My wheel is at the bike shop right now for this very reason.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
all you do is loosen up the nuts on the axle and straighten the wheel in the frame with your hands, and make sure the tire doesnt touch the chain or frame, then you tighten the nuts.

Kygaga

Mar 31, 2010
San Bernardino, Ca.
Where did you get that info from? Most wheels are built centered unless you get them from wal-mart, then you never know what you are gonna get.
Hey Joe: Inspite of your answer I am still confused. I guess what I need to know is: is it OK for the wheel on a beach cruiser to sit WAY over to the left fork instead of being in the center. A friend is NOW telling him that he needs to put "spacers" in some part of the break "actuator" ( ? ? ? !) to "pull it over" somehow. I KNOW (thanks to you all!) that this makes NO sense! Can you help me to SAVE his bike from himself and others?

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
IF you whole wheel is "dished" over to the left, then you will have to have a bike shop "adjust" it with the spokes as suggested above. It's the only way, using spacers is a bad fix for a problem that should'nt be there....I mean the wheel should be centered, not spoked up so the rim is off center.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Besides the fact that if your wheel is off center that much, it will be a ***** to ride and handling will be poor at best.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I have seen a wheel "dished" to one side....it was the front wheel of Mrs. Joe's Walmart bike and it turned one way real well, and felt like you were going to fall off turning the other way. Fortunately, it was the front wheel of a non motorized bike and I can true wheels so I fixed it.

She kept telling me the bike "rode funny" and I finally had a look and the front wheel was over to the left a mile.

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
When I said most wheels are dished to the left I should have mentioned I only have experience with mountain bikes. They do this to make up for room for the cassette of cogs on the right side. I forget most of you guys ride cruisers and they are probably normally dished centered.

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
if you mean the wheel is lined up true in the frame but is shifted more to one side, then the nuts for the axle are probably swaped. the side with the brake arm should have a thiner nut and a thicker nut on the sprocket side. some chinaman probably put them on the wrong sides.

Kygaga

Mar 31, 2010
San Bernardino, Ca.
To ALL of you guys: THANK YOU!!! He finally let ME get my hands on it and LO AND BEHOLD . . . I got it "in there"! Now that he let me actually work on IT, all the info I've gained from this forum is making more sense to me. Still a long way to go, but I finally feel I'm at least past the starting post! Couldn't have done it without you!