Frame with v-brakes....which one?

GoldenMotor.com

Bryman31

May 6, 2010
Colorado
do they even exist? my wife is wanting to "maybe" want a motor bike. but her only stipulation is she "wants one that's sturdy, wont break, and it MUST have front/rear v-brakes."

so im asking you guys for help on what to choose? color don't really matter, but she would "prefer" flat black lol

thanks guys!!

brnot

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
Go to a bike shop and even the cheapest bike they sell there will have at least V-brakes and it'll be miles better then anything from Wal-Mart.

omegaunderground

Sep 16, 2009
modesto
If you can't find one with V brakes, Danscomp.com has a V brake adapter plate (pictured below) that will let you add V brakes to most frames/forks. I used one of these years ago it came with zip ties to secure to the frame... I used radiator hose clamps as I knew that would be stronger.

V-Brake Plate by MISC

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I just got one of these and they now come with hose clamps. I have pics of it semi-installed on the "don't like coaster brakes?" thread.
How are these working out for You? Is there enough meat on the part to widen it up to allow for a fender? I am also doing one for the Misses and she wants Fenders
Cheers

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
The bike that I put it on is not up and running yet. As for fenders, it probably wont leave you much room for a rear fender if you install it on the upper part of the fork (behind the seat). I'm putting mine on the lower part, but it will require welding an L-bracket to the adapter plate to make it work. You might be able to widen it up a little, but considering what it's supposed to do, I wouldn't remove much material at all.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
A lot of the schwinn cruisers sold at discount stores have v brakes like the jaguar.
My teenage kids can't control my coaster braked Western Flyer. It's just not their generation.
I think a coaster brake works fine on a motorized bike IF you also have a front brake.

omegaunderground

Sep 16, 2009
modesto
I am only 26 but I grew up with coaster brakes.... I remember this huge huge hill by the beach house my grandpa would rent for us every year. I went downhill on my cousins huffy and was probably doing 35mph+ at the middle of the hill, went to use my brakes and the pedal spindle snapped clean off the crank arm on my right side... Never had I been so scarred as a kid, went into some bushes as a poor attempt to slow me down, still have the scar on my leg haha.

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
I want nothing to do with coaster brakes. I was out riding with my Dad and his motorized Del Mar of course has the cheap coaster brakes. We came down a hill with a sharp turn, he tried to slow down for it, but the back wheel locked up and he was on the asphalt before he knew what happened. At his age he can't take the crashes as well as he used to, but the old hard-ass got up and rode home but he was scraped up pretty bad. I don't know, maybe he just isn't used to the coasters, his other MB has disk brakes. Mine has V-brakes and my next one will too because I know they work and I know that I can control them.