install with coaster brakes???

GoldenMotor.com

kr632

Apr 13, 2009
buffalo
Looks like someone forgot to put the screw/bolt back in the coaster brake arm that holds it to the frame...
i did just not tight... does any one know where to get a master link for the 415 chain with out having to order it or buy a new chain? alot of the bike shops here either never heard(racing bikes) of it or dont carry it and if they do carry it they have the whole chain. i just need the locking piece. is there anything else i can use

Last edited:

stevolandis

Feb 20, 2010
NE Pennsylvania
I put this kit on a cruiser, and had to bend the arm in a z shape, and grind it down a bit. The brake arm is very important- if it's not bolted to the frame, and you peddle backwards, the bearings could tighten and be crushed.The nut holding the arm on is for locking- when you tighten it, make sure the brake arm doesn't rotate- that will crush the bearings too. Just make sure the axle spins easily without moving from side to side when you're done tightening

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
Kr- you gotta keep that tensioner from turning- drill a small hole thru it into the frame for a short,small sheet metal screw and that will keep it from rotating (select a drill that is a tad bigger than the inner dimension of the sheetmatal screw- so it will go in, but still cut threads into the metal as you put it in). THEN see if the chain stays on. You still got a lot of time before we get decent riding weather. Relax.

pre-war Schwinn

Nov 15, 2009
Los Angeles 90039
Hey, curiously enough I wanted to install such a coaster brake style rim I bought new on my project in November. I posted a picture on my progress and imediatly the guys could see I was all wrong with my adaptation of the Raw instruction manual. I was advised to throw the xerox copy I received in the trash.
Venice pop'ed in and gave me a note advising that" he would fix it for me just as a kindness ".
Well I had the stuff in my trunk one day while shopping around bike sellers in my area. I live near to Alvarado and Sunset in East LA it is a community of little guy one of a kind shops, and even a sell on the side of the road area that is a known used bike display with a Spanish speaking client'el
Well on my third stop I met a bike shop owner who had a partially completed motorized bike in his showroom. I asked him about these coaster brake models and that was concerned that once I did get that arm off . if I install the two spacers and new drive sprocket it appears I would have clearance issues width wise..so that the arm would not re-seat on the drive shaft properly. He told me that its OK to install only one gasket,instead of one gasket on each side of the new part just use one gasket on the spoke side. so I went that way. installed it mounted the whole thing and" bingo " new Jackpot situation. The chain is actually brushing the tire, even with my fidgeting and grinding away motor mount excess to clear that. So.I advise you to stick with a step by step instruction from one of these Motor heads who have years of installation and results to draw from. In my case, I just look at my finished bike until I have it inspected by Venice Motor Bikes prior to Start up. That includes the type of two stroke oil to use as well.Since I noticed there are great tips in adjacent forums on the best spark plug to use and oil for the gas,,, plus where to buy these things. Amazon.com has had every thing I hope to buy, including a retrostyle painted rear rack from new old stock,listed at the unbelievable price of 30 bucks plus $14.95 to ship it.

Last edited:

kr632

Apr 13, 2009
buffalo
Kr- you gotta keep that tensioner from turning- drill a small hole thru it into the frame for a short,small sheet metal screw and that will keep it from rotating (select a drill that is a tad bigger than the inner dimension of the sheetmatal screw- so it will go in, but still cut threads into the metal as you put it in). THEN see if the chain stays on. You still got a lot of time before we get decent riding weather. Relax.
thank you to everyone for your advice.

i moved the tensioner a little and tightened it down real good and i havent had a problem since. still gonna drill it out. i have had it out a few times in the decent weather we had this past weekend, but she still needs work so today while the weather is nasty i will be tinkering on it to get everything perfect. weather doesnt really bother me that much because i have rode so much in it(never with a engine tho, gonna have to get used to that).